Skip to main content
Topic: Installed system does not boot. (Read 153 times) previous topic - next topic

Installed system does not boot.

Hello, I have a problem the OS won't boot after I install this on my HDD. I've been installed several OS based on arch, and they all won't boot from HDD. My computer just simple doesn't see it. Also, the interesting part of this problem is that GRUB is loading only from USB stick and can recognize that system is installed, but when I try to boot installed system even through this, it's just freeze. My laptop is Acer 5315 with last updated BIOS(ass possible for this machine) and with upgraded CPU and RAM.

Re: Installed system does not boot.

Reply #1
The description of your problem is very vaque, there could be a number of problems going on here, including Secure Boot issues. Also, if I remember correctly, at least some Acer laptops had soft-locked boot manager and there was no way to unlock it other than manually tampering with EFI vars.

Reply #2
I have an Acer E15, maybe similar to 5315.  This Acer does in fact have a troublesome UEFI.  The trouble is in getting the freshly installed OS entry in the ESP (/boot/efi/EFI/Artix/grubx64.efi) "connected" to an NVRAM Boot variable in the UEFI.  This part must be done within the UEFI (bios) on this machine.  efibootmgr can not be used, Acer UEFI ignores any such operation.

In the UEFI is an option labeled "Restore Secure Boot to Factory".  I have to use this to first get rid of all the variables within UEFI, then use option "Select UEFI File Trusted" to add the entry in the ESP that was installed by the OS (Artix).

This is a PITA.  And I do not dual boot windows.  I would have to check my old notes to see if I even have instructions on how to do a dual boot.

There may be an easier way, but I havent found one.

Reply #3
Hello, I have a problem the OS won't boot after I install this on my HDD. I've been installed several OS based on arch, and they all won't boot from HDD. My computer just simple doesn't see it. Also, the interesting part of this problem is that GRUB is loading only from USB stick and can recognize that system is installed, but when I try to boot installed system even through this, it's just freeze. My laptop is Acer 5315 with last updated BIOS(ass possible for this machine) and with upgraded CPU and RAM.

try putting the computer on BIOS legacy mode

Reply #4
Try this:

Code: [Select]
sudo mkdir /boot/efi/EFI/BOOT
sudo cp /boot/efi/EFI/Artix/grubx64.efi /boot/efi/EFI/BOOT/bootx64.efi

Then try to boot.
Code: [Select]
ARTIX >> REFIND + REISERFS v3 + RUNIT + CONNMAN + SDDM + LXQT >> running on a mintbox mini 2 pro