Skip to main content
Topic: Why is NetworkManager started? (Read 1876 times) previous topic - next topic

Why is NetworkManager started?

Hi,

By some reason I can't figure out NetworkManager is started. I intend to use a static Ip on my desktop and do not want to clutter with NetworkManager.

I cannot se that NetworkManager is added to any run-level;

Code: [Select]
# rc-update -v 
       NetworkManager |                                       
               agetty |                                       
          agetty.tty1 |      default                          
          agetty.tty2 |      default                          
          agetty.tty3 |      default                          
          agetty.tty4 |      default                          
          agetty.tty5 |      default                          
          agetty.tty6 |      default                          

Using grep I don't find any other references in inint.d or conf.d (beside a few depends commented in conf.d) that might depend on it.

I take full responsibility of my Linux systems - I just need some help from time to time.

Re: Why is NetworkManager started?

Reply #1
When I uninstalled NetworkManager there was a dependency from powerdevil to NM. There is also the plasma nm aplet that might have be involved.  Perhaps that is why it is started.

NM did managet my networkl thought - my configuration in /etc/conf.d/net was invalid and did not work once I ensured it was used :)
I take full responsibility of my Linux systems - I just need some help from time to time.

Reply #2
When I uninstalled NetworkManager there was a dependency from powerdevil to NM. There is also the plasma nm aplet that might have be involved.  Perhaps that is why it is started.

NM did managet my networkl thought - my configuration in /etc/conf.d/net was invalid and did not work once I ensured it was used :)

If you are using one of those complex integrated spaghetti code freedesktop.org desktops then the dependency is built it.  There is some advantages to this if you, say, are running wifi on your laptop.  But it might be difficult to remove it through package management, or maybe not.  I haven't tried yet. 

On the system level, this is largely based, as I can see from expereince, with the gentoo design of its networking stack.  Rather than post from memory (and incorrectly) the details, let me just point you to the resource I found when I rewrote my network stack --
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-1070138.html?sid=cefc6f483081fec4bbbce9cb87d1d970
https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Handbook:X86/Networking/Modular/en
https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/OpenRC#Network_management

Reply #3
Thanks @mrbrklyn ,
Then the miljon dolar question; Are Artix using network configuration scripts from Gentoo?

I imagine they/we do, becaus I configured it like I use to (I am a long time gentoo user) and symlinked net.eth0 to net.lo and violla the network works perfect (when I managed the configuration details).

I successfully removed NetworkManager to the cost of Powedevil and now I cant configure power management in KDE but I won't need that for my desktop. I think it is a bit strange - I used to have Powerdevil installed and well working on my Gentoo-box (same physical box) without NetworkManager so I actually think it is an optional dependency, not a mandatory one. Perhaps I shoudl write my first ticket on this :)