Skip to main content
Topic: Migrating from Manjaro (Read 15290 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Migrating from Manjaro

Reply #30
Just to clarify....you currently have a bootable Artix system, but are still using Manjaro "extra" and "community" repos, and you are unsure as to how to switch over to Arch "extra" and "community"?? Am I understanding correctly?

Best regards.

NOW this is the case, FWIW

Reply #31
Can you please stop double posting!?

Reply #33
I did over two week ago.

Is everything working in your conversion on your server?

Need any help or suggestions?

Not sure if I have a suggestion.  My grub configuration still boots with manjaro decorations and the default kernel is still the latest Manjaro kernel, and I'm wondering now if artix will be as upto data and Manjaro was.  They were pretty good and getting the latest things out.

Other than that, the migration thus far seems OK.   I haven't tried to update wmaker yet or several community packages.

Reply #34
Not sure if I have a suggestion.  My grub configuration still boots with manjaro decorations and the default kernel is still the latest Manjaro kernel, and I'm wondering now if artix will be as upto data and Manjaro was.  They were pretty good and getting the latest things out.

Other than that, the migration thus far seems OK.   I haven't tried to update wmaker yet or several community packages.

Well you can change the grub theme if it bothers you. As for kernels, I personally use the linux hardened from arch and use pacman's "--config=" option  with a manjaro only pacman.conf that you could name pacman-manjaro.conf or any other.

Ex:
pacman -Syyu  --config=pacman-manjaro.conf
OR
pacman -Ss linux kernel  --config=pacman-manjaro.conf
Choose the kernels you want (In this example, linux413, linux412, linux49 along with the modules you want)
pacman -Syy linux413 linux412  linux49 linux413-headers linux412-headers  linux49-headers linux413-ndiswrapper linux413-tp_smapi linux412-ndiswrapper linux412-tp_smapi  linux49-ndiswrapper linux49-tp_smapi --config=pacman-manjaro.conf

I use the manjaro kernel's and git built ones, but --config= makes switching between profiles quite easy. And to reiterate, the manjaro kernels do work with artix. Just unsupported officially.

Maybe that will allow you more up to date kernel's while we wait for artix's linux non lts kernel.

But yeah, artix is a little behind core and a few sparse packages. We have few developers on top of moving/growing pains. We will get better and if not other distros maybe better for you. Test other distros in qemu or virtualbox. "Hope for the best, plan for the worst."

I use other distros too. They have only shown me different philosophies and ways of doing things. Yet, they have so far only cemented my love for arch or better still artix.

Are you holding off adding the extra, community, multilib repos because of your server? Once we get on the ball, keeping packages from these repos while not updating will probably break them. I seem to be stable at the moment while using them. Blimey, I even use multilib-testing, testing, testing-community repos from arch and the system is stable.

Anyone know when world and galaxy repos will let extra, community packaages from arch trickle in?

Edit: You have to run update-grub after updating/installing the manjaro kernels. Not sure why.

Reply #35
Artix is (roughly) based on Arch packages and repositories, and the migration procedure assumes a full conversion (i.e. no manjaro-specific packages left). However (there's always one), one can leave as many third-party repos enabled as they wish. The only restriction is that their names must not conflict, i.e. [community-arch], [community-manjaro] and they must point to different mirrorlist files (otherwise they all will pull from the same servers and either find what they want or get a 404, because , for example, there's no [community-arch] repo on the Arch mirrors).

Pacman decides which package will install by the first repo match: if you issue 'pacman -S package', the first matching repo will be used, even if there's a newer version of that package in a repo below the first match. You can explicitly use a repo, prepending it to the package: 'pacman -S repo/package'.

However, this is not recommended, because a third-repo package might be linked against different libraries or contain files which conflict with ours, etc. If you use this approach, you're on your own because we assume you're competent enough to cope with such problems (and because we're terribly short on time). Regarding kernels, you can use pretty much whichever you like (I use linux-pf and linux-ck) - the grub decorations are, well, just decorations.

Reply #36

To start using the Artix kernel, make the selection in grub, when you're booting.

Artix will most probably get packages faster than Manjaro(Stable), but slower than Arch(Stable), because there are only so many people behind the scenes.

p.s. I do agree that your needs (for this particular topic) would be better served on the IRC with some real-time interaction; this conversation on the forum is going too slowly.

Reply #37
I think moving over to Arch repos should not be delayed too long....Artix is based on Arch, not Manjaro.

And how would one make that move exactly?  It isn't mentioned in the migration guide and I am pretty sure I have seen people told on numerous occasions that switching your mirrorlist from Manjaro to Arch is asking for trouble.

Reply #38
To start using the Artix kernel, make the selection in grub, when you're booting.

Artix will most probably get packages faster than Manjaro(Stable), but slower than Arch(Stable), because there are only so many people behind the scenes.

p.s. I do agree that your needs (for this particular topic) would be better served on the IRC with some real-time interaction; this conversation on the forum is going too slowly.

Artix gets packages almost as fast as arch, approximately same speed as on manjaro unstable, which is arch stable with manjaro specific packages added only. But, we import arch stable and testing PKGBUILDs into our testing repos first. After it has been deemed stable enough by team and users, we move it to stable default repos.
I can only advise to use arch repos.

Reply #39
And how would one make that move exactly?  It isn't mentioned in the migration guide and I am pretty sure I have seen people told on numerous occasions that switching your mirrorlist from Manjaro to Arch is asking for trouble.
That is Manjaro Artix is not Manjaro and should follow arch

Reply #40
That is Manjaro Artix is not Manjaro and should follow arch

I see a problem with even unstable manjaro.
As soon as we make our buildbot repos mirrored moving away from SF, we basically will be almost as fast as arch with builds, which is automated by now and our testing repos are basically in sync with arch stable + testing.
Once we made the move of packages from our testing in our stable repos, we are up to speed, and will leave Sourceforge as main repo hosting, but eventually will sync the SF account with some mirror, so we have SF mirrors too.

Reply #43
When and why is the arch core repository used, and if it is not advised to be used why was it in the mirror conf file?
If it is not commented it could bring in an update from arch that is systemd dependent, right?
I can talk for hours about debian based repositories but Arch hasn't settled in yet.

Reply #44
When and why is the arch core repository used, and if it is not advised to be used why was it in the mirror conf file?
If it is not commented it could bring in an update from arch that is systemd dependent, right?
I can talk for hours about debian based repositories but Arch hasn't settled in yet.
Arch "core" is not used...only "extra" and "community" from Arch repos is used.

Best regards.
We should try to be kind to everyone.....we are all fighting some sort of battle.