Skip to main content
Topic: New ISOs for a New Year (Read 6875 times) previous topic - next topic

New ISOs for a New Year

New ISOs are available for testing.

Base ISOs only offer a bare minimum system, installable from the CLI. For advanced users.

Minimal ISOs come with a basic DE (LXDE, LXQt, MATE), slightly preconfigured. The graphics installer of choice is Calamares. For knowledgeable users.

Community ISOs will follow soon. As with the June 2019 editions, they will be fully preconfigured and contain many applications for everyday use. They are geared towards average or novice users or people that just want a well-endowed live ISO for setting up an out-of-the-box working OS.

People following our Telegram group have had an early notice of these releases and helped testing and debugging. Once we get some more feedback and catch any remaining bugs, we'll make them official. Please, test and post any comments, bugs, ideas and suggestions here.

The Artix team would like to wish a happy New Year to everyone and thank you for your continued support.

Re: New ISOs for a New Year

Reply #1
Many thanks guys for the new iso, works a treat on a new desktop I have that I could not get the previous iso to boot on at all!

Happy New Year to you all.

Reply #2
I've installed the openrc-base iso of Cinnaman, Mate and LQXT in a VM as these will most likely be the variants i'd choose for my hardware machines.

Installation using calamares going through without hassle, all 3 desktop variants look very nice and polished (I admit i love rather simple dark themes ;) ).
Did some updating (where required), installed some tools, can't find anything to blame.

Now i need to make a choice for a fresh install of my dev machine which runs an older lxqt artix which does not look so nice as the new ones. ;)
Will come back with additional feedback when done.

Thanks for your work!

Reply #3
I've installed the openrc-base iso of Cinnaman, Mate and LQXT in a VM as these will most likely be the variants i'd choose for my hardware machines.

Installation using calamares going through without hassle, all 3 desktop variants look very nice and polished (I admit i love rather simple dark themes ;) ).
Did some updating (where required), installed some tools, can't find anything to blame.

Now i need to make a choice for a fresh install of my dev machine which runs an older lxqt artix which does not look so nice as the new ones. ;)
Will come back with additional feedback when done.

Thanks for your work!

Do you need a fresh install to make it look the way you want. Arch is rolling. I do not understand ;) . KISS    keep it stupid simple.

Reply #4
I "need" a fresh install to test the ISO on a hardware machine and get a clean install of Cinnamon. I'm well aware that Artix is rolling, but in my experience the theming does not "roll" that well (neither in Artix nor in Manjaro which i use as well).
The LXQT version i had installed was up to date regarding the tools but the theming was still the old one and i don't even bother to think about fiddling around with themes, icons, decorations and what else needs to do. Settings my tools up after a fresh install is easier and faster that this whole theming thing for me.

That said: no problems at all with OpenRC / Cinnamon on my older dev machine.  8)

Reply #5
Took a risk and installed LXDE s6 testing ISO on my hard disk in place of the working MATE/LXDE community variant which I used for several months.
Fantastic! The system works perfectly and extremely fast out of the box.
The ISO contains necessary minimum of tools and nothing superfluous, even no PulseAudio (special thanks for that!), so nothing to purge out :)
Three days of use with a lot of additional packages installed - no complaints so far.

The only note: Midori is somewhat buggy, so it would be better to include PaleMoon browser instead. Just a few extra megabytes to ISO image, but much more fun.

Many thanks for your good job. Keep it up!

Reply #6
Installed artix-lxde-openrc-20200110-x86_64.iso today. 

After i did :

Code: [Select]
$ pacman -S archlinux-keyring && pacman -Syu

The system runs nice and sweet. Learning rc.

The only thing, I have to install Artix first with a dual-boot. It broke my Manjaro boot. <kernel panik>.
Not a problem though, good for the test. I changed the Distro install sequence and both boot nice.

What can i do to avoid the duo-boot issue in the future, when installing artix as last distro.

Enjoying exploring.

Reply #7
The LXQT version i had installed was up to date regarding the tools but the theming was still the old one and i don't even bother to think about fiddling around with themes, icons, decorations and what else needs to do. Settings my tools up after a fresh install is easier and faster that this whole theming thing for me.
All theming and branding is now done with the packages in the artix-branding group (artix-dark-theme and artix-qt-presets in your case). You can install the ones you need/like and copy the user-specific files from /etc/skel into your home dir.

Reply #8
The only thing, I have to install Artix first with a dual-boot. It broke my Manjaro boot. <kernel panik>.
Not a problem though, good for the test. I changed the Distro install sequence and both boot nice.
It's a problem of Manjaro, not of Artix.
Manjaro has specific boot behavior which other distributions don't consider when generating GRUB config file. I have not seen any distro which would correctly set up Manjaro in GRUB.

To get around the problem, boot using GRUB menu entry marked as 'fallback initramfs' (it may be in submenu "Advanced options for Manjaro Linux").
If this doesn't succeed (or when there's no such entry at all), highlight Manjaro entry and go to edit mode. The last line in the section must look as follows:
initrd	/boot/intel-ucode.img /boot/initramfs-4.19-x86_64.img
Correct it so it look as above (replacing the version number of Linux kernel if needed), then exit with save.

After booting Manjaro, run update-grub and grub-install under root.

But the best solution would be installing Artix instead of Manjaro rather than alongside :)
Artix is really cool :)

Reply #9
I'd like to install Artix on a newly received Laptop powered by an Athlon 300U APU. I tried the cinnamon-openrc iso dated 20200110 and 20200120 but Artix won't but successfully, it's stuck on "artix-live". Haven't tried any of the other init systems as openrc is my init of choice. The system starts fine with the latest Manjaro-Pre-ISO using kernel 5.5 though.

The behaviour may be due to a bug in the kernel in the current 5.4-branch: https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/drm/amd/issues/1013
Manjaro applied the patch by themselves, i guess it will be included upstream in upcoming kernel 5.4.14.

Reply #10
artix-community-gtk-s6-20200123-x86_64.iso fails to install: Calamares requires systemd (?).

Reply #11
artix-community-gtk-s6-20200123-x86_64.iso fails to install: Calamares requires systemd (?).
Ah, thanks for the heads-up. A symlink to Artix Calamares config was missing in community profiles and it defaulted to Generic GNU/Linux 2017.8 LTS "Soapy Sousaphone" instead... New ISOs are already getting built and will be automatically pushed.

[EDIT] To avoid re-downloading the ISO, you can get the files from https://gitea.artixlinux.org/artix/iso-profiles/src/branch/refactor/common/live-overlay/etc/calamares and put them in /etc/. Then, restart the installer.
git clone https://gitea.artixlinux.org/artix/iso-profiles.git
cd iso-profiles
git checkout refactor
sudo cp -aL common/live-overlay/etc/calamares /etc/
sudo sed -i s/services-openrc/services-s6/ /etc/calamares/settings.conf
sudo calamares -d
Alternatively, copy settings.conf into /usr/share/calamares and restart Calamares.

Reply #12
To avoid re-downloading the ISO, you can get the files from https://gitea.artixlinux.org/artix/iso-profiles/src/branch/refactor/common/live-overlay/etc/calamares and put them in /etc/. Then, restart the installer.
git clone https://gitea.artixlinux.org/artix/iso-profiles.git
cd iso-profiles
git checkout refactor
sudo cp -aL common/live-overlay/etc/calamares /etc/
sudo sed -i s/services-openrc/services-s6/ /etc/calamares/settings.conf
sudo calamares -d
Thanks for the advice. I did so, but the installation failed anyway, this time before the final stage (copying files).

Reply #13
Just a thought, for now, you could install manually, it really is simple to do.

But from the looks of it, it seems to be looking for CHANGES file?

Reply #14
Thanks for the advice. I did so, but the installation failed anyway, this time before the final stage (copying files).

OK, it's a little more complicated. After performing the steps above (except sudo calamares -d), open a terminal and issue as root (copy/paste directly into the terminal):
pacman -Sy artools-iso
Then:
set +C
export INITSYS=s6
source /usr/lib/artools/base/yaml.sh
source /usr/lib/artools/iso/chrootcfg.sh
source /usr/share/makepkg/util/message.sh
configure_calamares
cat << EOF > /etc/calamares/modules/services-${INITSYS}.conf
---