Skip to main content
Topic: updates stepping on my configuations (Read 5932 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: updates stepping on my configuations

Reply #30
Pama
Sddm was updated recently and with it the original artix background was replaced by a new artix graphic which is like a silly version of Manjaro themes.  Where can I find a copy of that original DNA chain black-green bg?

With dns resolv.conf I've tried every trick on the book keeping it from changing to some idiotic default.  I thought openresolv and resolvconf might do it and a head file in resolvconf.d but still every boot it returns to default.  The only other way I can think of is create a script to copy a file from backup to the /etc/resolv.conf file.  It wasn't happening for a while and something in a recent upgrade returned this nuisance.

Then todays a new version of pamac appeared in world-testing I think.  New conf file and the AUR settings are not even there.  I copied from the old pamac.conf but it seems as the whole package was configured to not include AUR.  Whose idea was this?  It is either Artix is  an Arch fork or it isn't.  At this stage I think some paternalistic figure behind the scenes should make their mind up.
Neither pamac is  Manjaro.  And in my opinion should not be used anyway users should learn to use pacman so you know what the fuck is going on when you update, Why do you think they have so many update problems. Sorry not having a go  at you, its a fact.

Reply #31
PamaNeither pamac is  Manjaro.  And in my opinion should not be used anyway users should learn to use pacman so you know what the fuck is going on when you update, Why do you think they have so many update problems. Sorry not having a go  at you, its a fact.

Octopi gives one the option to run transactions via the terminal, and I think pamac offers a detailed view of transactions, (but I'm not very familiar with pamac). I do agree that it is best to do updates with pacman via terminal, and that is my personal policy.
Pamac and Octopi are very handy for searching and installing software however. :)

Best regards.
We should try to be kind to everyone.....we are all fighting some sort of battle.

Reply #32
In most cases I do use pacman, it is quicker.  But how do you suggest one goes about updating AUR packages?

Reply #33
Octopi gives one the option to run transactions via the terminal, and I think pamac offers a detailed view of transactions, (but I'm not very familiar with pamac). I do agree that it is best to do updates with pacman via terminal, and that is my personal policy.
Pamac and Octopi are very handy for searching and installing software however. :)

Best regards.
Very true I think they disabled AUR as default as users were updating blind from AUR which is like jumping the lights in a car very dangerous, + they now use a in house AUR helper so its really only good for viewing but the lighter tkpacman is good for that as well

Reply #34
In most cases I do use pacman, it is quicker.  But how do you suggest one goes about updating AUR packages?

"yaourt -Syua" is what I use to update AUR packages, (also updates your system too). I think "-Syua" also works with pacaur, if that is your AUR helper of choice, but I'm not all that familiar with pacaur.

Best regards.
We should try to be kind to everyone.....we are all fighting some sort of battle.

Reply #35
upgrading community AUR packages isn't want one might think it means.

Reply #36
yeah that is a disaster.  I have dozens of community aur downloads from the manjaro setup, and it not only doesn't work, but iif it did, it would rip up much of the core artix