Skip to main content
Topic solved
This topic has been marked as solved and requires no further attention.
Topic: [SOLVED] Help for HP printer configuration (Read 4942 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Help for HP printer configuration

Reply #15
Code: [Select]
pacman -S avahi avahi-openrc

OK

rc-service avahi-daemon start

OK

if start without problems:
rc-update add avahi-daemon default

OK

you should start cupsd too:

rc-update add cupsd default

******** NOT  OK
      I have this error:   rc-update: service `cupsd' does not exist

after reboot will be start automatically

I work about it...
 and:

cat /var/log/cups/error_log
have now this:
E [11/May/2020:22:33:28 +0200] Unable to open listen socket for address [v1.::1]:631 - Address already in use.
E [11/May/2020:22:33:28 +0200] Unable to open listen socket for address 127.0.0.1:631 - Address already in use.
E [11/May/2020:23:03:21 +0200] Unable to remove /run/cups/certs/0!
E [11/May/2020:23:03:21 +0200] Unable to finalize "/var/cache/cups/job.cache": No such file or directory

2. I add myself at cups group

3.I try use now hp-setup with the same result:
error: No PPD found for model deskjet_1510 using old algorithm.
error: No appropriate print PPD file found for model deskjet_1510_series

Reply #16
have you tried adding a printer through that web interface?

http://localhost:631/

Reply #18

I work about it...
 and:

cat /var/log/cups/error_log
have now this:
E [11/May/2020:22:33:28 +0200] Unable to open listen socket for address [v1.::1]:631 - Address already in use.
E [11/May/2020:22:33:28 +0200] Unable to open listen socket for address 127.0.0.1:631 - Address already in use.
E [11/May/2020:23:03:21 +0200] Unable to remove /run/cups/certs/0!
E [11/May/2020:23:03:21 +0200] Unable to finalize "/var/cache/cups/job.cache": No such file or directory

2. I add myself at cups group

3.I try use now hp-setup with the same result:
error: No PPD found for model deskjet_1510 using old algorithm.
error: No appropriate print PPD file found for model deskjet_1510_series

Check if you have any service listening to port 631. Also you can configure CUPS to listen to local UNIX socket and then you can connect to with system-config-printer utility
ARMtix

Reply #19
seems, that cups is not started, or is wrong configured.

please give here output from terminal with command:

rc-service cupsd restart -v

should be similar as mine:
[picasso pkg]# rc-service cupsd restart -v
 * Executing: /usr/lib/openrc/sh/openrc-run.sh /usr/lib/openrc/sh/openrc-run.sh /etc/init.d/cupsd stop
 * Stopping cupsd ...
 * Will stop /usr/bin/cupsd
 * Will stop PID 7102
 * Will stop processes of `/usr/bin/cupsd'
 * Sending signal 15 to PID 7102 ...                                                                              [ ok ]
 * Executing: /usr/lib/openrc/sh/openrc-run.sh /usr/lib/openrc/sh/openrc-run.sh /etc/init.d/cupsd start
 * Starting cupsd ...
 * start-stop-daemon: fopen `/run/cupsd.pid': No such file or directory
 * Detaching to start `/usr/bin/cupsd' ...                                                                        [ ok ]

Reply #20
seems, that cups is not started, or is wrong configured.

please give here output from terminal with command:

rc-service cupsd restart -v

should be similar as mine:
[picasso pkg]# rc-service cupsd restart -v
 * Executing: /usr/lib/openrc/sh/openrc-run.sh /usr/lib/openrc/sh/openrc-run.sh /etc/init.d/cupsd stop
 * Stopping cupsd ...
 * Will stop /usr/bin/cupsd
 * Will stop PID 7102
 * Will stop processes of `/usr/bin/cupsd'
 * Sending signal 15 to PID 7102 ...                                                                              [ ok ]
 * Executing: /usr/lib/openrc/sh/openrc-run.sh /usr/lib/openrc/sh/openrc-run.sh /etc/init.d/cupsd start
 * Starting cupsd ...
 * start-stop-daemon: fopen `/run/cupsd.pid': No such file or directory
 * Detaching to start `/usr/bin/cupsd' ...                                                                        [ ok ]

this is the result of   "rc-service cupsd restart -v"
  * rc-service: service `cupsd' does not exist

Reply #21
have you no cups-openrc installed???  :o  :o

pacman -S cups  cups-openrc   

Reply #22
have you no cups-openrc installed???  :o  :o

pacman -S cups  cups-openrc   

CUPS is installed !

this is the result of " pacman -Qs cups"

local/cups 2.3.3-1
    The CUPS Printing System - daemon package
local/cups-filters 1.27.4-1
    OpenPrinting CUPS Filters
local/libcups 2.3.3-1
    The CUPS Printing System - client libraries and headers

Reply #23
Well, if you didn't do a terminal installation I guess there's no way for you to know before hand, but in Artix services like CUPS and Network Manager come with their normal package and the *-openrc/*-runit/*-s6 packages, each with the init scripts of their respective init system. If you install cups-openrc it should stop giving the "rc-service: service `cupsd' does not exist" error message.

Reply #24
CUPS is installed !

this is the result of " pacman -Qs cups"

local/cups 2.3.3-1
    The CUPS Printing System - daemon package
local/cups-filters 1.27.4-1
    OpenPrinting CUPS Filters
local/libcups 2.3.3-1
    The CUPS Printing System - client libraries and headers

Yes, is installed, but is not installed cups service and cups can't start. Just install cups-openrc, and start it.

So, your cups is NOT really properly installed.

Reply #25
Yes, is installed, but is not installed cups service and cups can't start. Just install cups-openrc, and start it.

So, your cups is NOT really properly installed.

BINGO !!!

I installed "cups-openrc" and now, by launching "hp-setup", I was able to configure the HP printer, which now works perfectly, including the scanner.

I want to thank everyone who answered and helped me, especially alium, to whom I wasted a lot of time ...
I'm afraid, however, that you will read me again soon, there are other small post installation things that don't go as they should, certainly not as important as not being able to print, but still need to be fixed.

To conclude, congratulations on the project, Artix runs well on my old PC over 15 years ago, and everything is very responsive and also pleasant to see (MATE). I just hope I don't break everything too soon, I'm a beginner with Linux.

See you soon.-

George

Re: [SOLVED] Help for HP printer configuration

Reply #26
good :-)

Reply #27
To conclude, congratulations on the project, Artix runs well on my old PC over 15 years ago, and everything is very responsive and also pleasant to see (MATE).
I find kernels with the CK patchset to offer great desktop responsiveness in low RAM / disk-thrashing situations / old hardware.

Reply #29
I find kernels with the CK patchset to offer great desktop responsiveness in low RAM / disk-thrashing situations / old hardware.
Hi nous! Very interesting, for me, what you wrote.
Indeed, I have an old TOSHIBA SATELLITE with AMD e350 and 4Gb of Ram. I only replaced the hard drive with a small first price SSD. With Artix everything turns perfectly, it's almost a splinter. He's only struggling with 1080 video straming, but I have to settle, he's an old man ... So, yes, I could try Kernel with CK patchset, maybe something improves further! How you do it ? I searched the forum but found nothing. Thanks for this nice news!