Skip to main content
Topic solved
This topic has been marked as solved and requires no further attention.
Topic: Shutdown command not working, pacman-mirrors/mirrorlist not working (Read 3780 times) previous topic - next topic

Shutdown command not working, pacman-mirrors/mirrorlist not working

Hi everybody! I switched to Artix Linux yesterday & I am really liking it! Finally a dedicated OpenRC arch variant!
I have tried using search engines to find a solution but I've come up empty, so I decided now is as good a time as any to make a forums account!
~
I've run into some issues with the shutdown command - what gives? sudo shutdown now, sudo shutdown -h, sudo shutdown -h now, none of these work - my computer won't turn off, but if I select shutdown from the GUI it will shutdown just fine.. I'm not quite sure how to find the commands that go into the GUI or I'd just find the shutdown command from there. Anybody know how I can make my PC shutdown from a terminal command? Or perhaps does anyone know how I can find the commands that the LXDE logout menu uses?
~
When I try to do a sudo pacman-mirrors -G or sudo pacman-mirrorlist -G it just comes up as command not found.. (I think it was supposed to be -G, maybe it was -g? maybe it was M, I don't really remember, but) What command do I use to query the latency from different Artix servers? I have artix-mirrorlist & archlinux-mirrorlist installed.. I came from Manjaro where it was sudo pacman-mirrorlist -G.
~
And my final questions (for now), where can we go to make package requests? Like, to add things to the Artix repo. I am aware the AUR works with Artix. And when will screenfetch show the amount of packages & have its own decal? Just curious, <- that question isn't too important but the first three are. Thank you very much to everyone who took the time to read my issues! And THANK YOU to the great developers who added in bluez-utils-compat, now I can play games with bluetooth controllers :D too cool, that's the only thing that held me back from using Manjaro OpenRC pre-Artix.

Re: Shutdown command not working, pacman-mirrors/mirrorlist not working

Reply #1
I figured out that "sudo poweroff" will properly shutdown my computer so that's nice, that's what really brought me here to make this post, but I still haven't figured out the pacman-mirrorlist thing, where to request packages be put into the Artix repos, or what's up with screenfetch.

Reply #2
I've run into some issues with the shutdown command - what gives? sudo shutdown now, sudo shutdown -h, sudo shutdown -h now, none of these work - my computer won't turn off, but if I select shutdown from the GUI it will shutdown just fine.. I'm not quite sure how to find the commands that go into the GUI or I'd just find the shutdown command from there. Anybody know how I can make my PC shutdown from a terminal command? Or perhaps does anyone know how I can find the commands that the LXDE logout menu uses?

I figured out that "sudo poweroff" will properly shutdown my computer so that's nice, that's what really brought me here to make this post, but I still haven't figured out the pacman-mirrorlist thing, where to request packages be put into the Artix repos, or what's up with screenfetch.

Welcome to Artix Linux. (^_^) I can answer one of your questions.

'/usr/bin/poweroff' has been transformed into a script that actually runs 'openrc-shutdown'; so, it might be more clean to simply execute 'openrc-shutdown' with your desired option.

The following will allow you to shutdown in the same vein as 'sudo shutdown -h now':
Code: [Select]
sudo openrc-shutdown -p

The 'sudo reboot' equivalent:
sudo openrc-shutdown -r

Other options may be found in:
man openrc-shutdown

Also, you may want to add '/usr/bin/openrc-shutdown' to the 'yourusername ALL = NOPASSWD:' section of your 'sudoers' file via 'sudo visudo', for the sake of convenience.

Reply #3
openrc-shutdown --halt should work
openrc-shutdown --reboot works
openrc-shutdown --help to see options

What DE are you using, if any?

Welcome

Reply #4
I'm using LXDE, I've found "sudo poweroff" works & its quite easy to remember :P
I'm still curious about the pacman-mirrorlist command & where I can possibly make requests for software to be put into the Artix repo, as well as when screenfetch may be working better. I find LXDE works much better than LXQT, I'm really not a big fan of LXQT. I chose to not install any DE upon installation because I didn't have LXDE to choose!

Reply #5
How can I make an alias so that sudo shutdown runs sudo poweroff? I tried to search up how to do it but got really confused about it, if somebody could baby-step me through the process that'd be super cool :D

Reply #6
For LXDE there is lxsession-logout which works great out of the box.  A gui screen comes up with many choices.  I sometimes use lxpanel on openbox but that gets its own complications.
I don't use things like suspend and hybernate, I think this stuff is meant for laptops.   I have wondered whether they do work and why on Devuan most of those options have been removed.  Maybe because Devuan comes with plain sysvinit not Open-Rc and those commands are functional because of openrc.

Reply #7
Yea the GUI logout works fine on LXDE Artix, but I just wanted to figure out what command I could use to shutdown because I usually just like to type everything, still curious about my other questions ^_^ especially pacman-mirrorlist

Reply #8
Yea the GUI logout works fine on LXDE Artix, but I just wanted to figure out what command I could use to shutdown because I usually just like to type everything, still curious about my other questions ^_^ especially pacman-mirrorlist

loginctl reboot
loginctl poweroff

A little bit more complicated for pacman-mirrors, that is a Manajro only command. To rank the mirrors, you must install reflector, that is able to receive the mirrors list and to use rankmirrors to recreate the mirrors list, with the best performance for you.

I find an example here https://forum.antergos.com/topic/6225/comandos-de-pacman-y-lista-de-mirrors-en-antergos/2, its in spanish, but at the end you can see the commands example and, in my opinion, all is clear.
To recreate the pacman-mirrors command, is possible to transform the command in a shell script, to name it pacman-mirrors and to obtain the same result. Maybe in the next days I'll try to do something similar :)

Reply #9
Anybody know how I can make my PC shutdown from a terminal command?
loginctl poweroff

When I try to do a sudo pacman-mirrors -G or sudo pacman-mirrorlist -G it just comes up as command not found

Of course the command failed because that command (pacman-mirrrors, NOT pacman-mirrorlist) is unique to manjaro only. No arch and arch-based use this command besides manjaro. They either use reflector command, or mirrorlist generator

Don't automatically assume that it will exist in arch or any arch-based distros just because the command has pacman strapped in front of it

where can we go to make package requests?

Artix's github page :

https://github.com/artix-linux

But you can also request them at this forum as well
If I can hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!

Reply #10
Error in Likes

An Error Has Occurred : SyntaxError: JSON.parse: unexpected character at line 2 column 2 of the JSON data

Reply #11
Oh... I didn't know pacman-mirrorlist / pacman-mirrors was a manjaro-only thing, wasn't aware of that. I used vanilla Arch a bit before I found Manjaro, I thought it was on Arch too but I suppose I'm wrong. My bad. I found out how to edit the pacman mirrors thing though so that takes care of that now. I guess I gotta make myself a github account now so that I can request some other software for the artix repo, I may just do a request from the forums if I can figure out the right spot to do them. I'm kinda slow at this, sorry.