Skip to main content
Topic: Using/converting .service files to OpenRC (Read 721 times) previous topic - next topic

Using/converting .service files to OpenRC

Hi there,
I tried the migration from Arch to Artix a few days ago, and I'd say all went smoothly, except that I have a whole bunch of applications that require .service files for some of their functionality, which don't seem to be compatible with OpenRC's rc-update command. Is there a way for me to use these .service files with OpenRC?

Re: Using/converting .service files to OpenRC

Reply #1
It's not so easy, just convert....
better if you write us, what for service you need...

Re: Using/converting .service files to OpenRC

Reply #2
Hi there,
I tried the migration from Arch to Artix a few days ago, and I'd say all went smoothly, except that I have a whole bunch of applications that require .service files for some of their functionality, which don't seem to be compatible with OpenRC's rc-update command. Is there a way for me to use these .service files with OpenRC?

As alium said, there is no convert, but you can "translate" the parts that are needed. If you are interested in doing so, what I would recommend doing is finding a service in OpenRC and sysd's service file and compare and understand. There is also a guide I look over when need be: https://github.com/OpenRC/openrc/blob/master/service-script-guide.md