Skip to main content
Topic: USB HDD not loading on either computer with Artix Linux... (Read 11045 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: USB HDD not loading on either computer with Artix Linux...

Reply #45
You also need in start-up applications  @dbus-launch pcmanfm --desktop -d or  @dbus-launch pcmanfm  -d  to start pcmanfm to show mounted volumes in the left column Ignore if you already did this.

Reply #46
I've got dbus and udiskie definitely from the Artix repos. And I have the lxpolkit for LXDE.
Remote=yes
RemoteHost=192.168.1.169
Active=yes

I'm not quite sure what that means, if I make it say no then does it disconnect me on SSH?

You also need in start-up applications  @dbus-launch pcmanfm --desktop -d or  @dbus-launch pcmanfm  -d  to start pcmanfm to show mounted volumes in the left column Ignore if you already did this.

hmmmm.... I think pcmanfm already opens, I'm not quite sure. How can I check? Does it hurt to have that command put in twice?

Reply #47
I've got dbus and udiskie definitely from the Artix repos. And I have the lxpolkit for LXDE.
Remote=yes
RemoteHost=192.168.1.169
Active=yes

I'm not quite sure what that means, if I make it say no then does it disconnect me on SSH?
Just issue it locally, not from an ssh session. What about other usb media, do they automount?

Reply #48
Yea other USBs automount, I've got it[the computer in question] automounting other normal USBs, that's not really the problem anymore, the problem is that I can't see the file structure of this 2TB harddrive, it just comes up as /dev/sdb & not /dev/sdb1 so I can't get the UUID for it... I can get the UUID for it on other distros though...

Reply #49
Hmmm, since it's the kernel that passes partition info to userspace, please post the output of 'dmesg -wH' from artix and debian when plugging in the usb disk.

Reply #50
Has anyone else been having trouble with getting the forums to load???
Here's the command for Artix, Nous. https://pastebin.com/WUXGzssR
I'll get the Debian one a bit later when I get back home.

Reply #51
Has anyone else been having trouble with getting the forums to load???
What's the trouble? Lag or errors?

Here's the command for Artix, Nous. https://pastebin.com/WUXGzssR
I'll get the Debian one a bit later when I get back home.
Code: [Select]
[  +0.049741] scsi host2: uas
[  +0.001994] scsi 2:0:0:0: Direct-Access     Seagate  Backup+ Desk     050B PQ: 0 ANSI: 6
[  +0.080595] usb 1-1.2: new full-speed USB device number 4 using ehci-pci
[  +0.012769] sd 2:0:0:0: [sdb] 3907029167 512-byte logical blocks: (2.00 TB/1.82 TiB)
[  +0.000007] sd 2:0:0:0: [sdb] 4096-byte physical blocks
[  +0.000470] sd 2:0:0:0: [sdb] Write Protect is off
[  +0.000004] sd 2:0:0:0: [sdb] Mode Sense: 4f 00 00 00
[  +0.000650] sd 2:0:0:0: [sdb] Write cache: enabled, read cache: enabled, doesn't support DPO or FUA
[  +0.004125]  sdb:
[  +0.003738] sd 2:0:0:0: [sdb] Attached SCSI disk
That's the relevant section, the linux-ck kernel identifies the disk partitionless. Post now the debian kernel snippet to compare.

Reply #52
Ok so I got the command for Debian but I've noticed that I can't do sudo blkid /dev/sdb1 ... I'm gonna install Manjaro on another computer & then I'll get you the output for that too, ok? Because I swear I was able to blkid /dev/sdb1 before.

https://pastebin.com/sTywcmuk

Reply #53
Debian with kernel 4.13? I'm impressed, thought they'd be at 3.14 or something.

Reply #54
No, that's Debian Sid (unstable) which was introduced in sid when 4.13 was labeled stable and 4.14 was at about rc3.
In my case, I had been trying 4.13 since Manjaro and would never work, it worked when Debian released it as I borrowed it in my Devuan tests.  Then it worked here shortly afterwards.
I think Jessie (old stable) is at 3.16 and current stable is at 4.9 (that's 5 months old)
Using software with well known bugs for 2 years after they have been solved and work fine in Arch was my reason for departing this stable philosophy.   Stale is only a "b" away from debian.

Reply #55
Very true

Reply #56
The last posting from your IP was less than 60 seconds ago. Please try again later.

Reply #57
Make sure these entries are in groups these entries are in groups uucp:x:14: user name   adbusers:x:996:user name  storage:x:95:user name

You don't need adbusers and you probably won't have that group as it comes from the "android-udev" package and is needed for adb and fastboot on android phones.

Reply #58
Just issue it locally, not from an ssh session. What about other usb media, do they automount?

How do I do that????? I'm really confused.. I haven't been able to reply to this thread for a while because I keep getting some weird error...
Apparently I'm able to reply to it now.... I uploaded screenshots on another thread about this thread.

How do I change Active=Yes and Remote=Yes ? ? ? ? ? ? ?? ? ? ? ? ?? ? ?????? ?? ? ? ???
I honestly have no clue, I can't figure out HOW I was supposed to do this...