Skip to main content
Topic: Can't run telegram-desktop anymore (Read 1610 times) previous topic - next topic

Can't run telegram-desktop anymore

I don't know when this started since there was a pretty good time I didn't use telegram-desktop but I noticed now that it doesn't open anymore (well, the process runs but nothing is shown).

Software version:

$ pacman -Q | grep telegram
telegram-desktop 2.1.13-1

Terminal output when I run the program:

$ telegram-desktop

(telegram-desktop:7564): Gtk-WARNING **: 16:23:22.812: Unable to locate theme engine in module_path: "murrine",

(telegram-desktop:7564): Gtk-WARNING **: 16:23:22.813: Unable to locate theme engine in module_path: "murrine",

(telegram-desktop:7564): Gtk-WARNING **: 16:23:22.813: Unable to locate theme engine in module_path: "murrine",

(telegram-desktop:7564): Gtk-WARNING **: 16:23:22.819: Unable to locate theme engine in module_path: "murrine",

(telegram-desktop:7564): Gtk-WARNING **: 16:23:22.819: Unable to locate theme engine in module_path: "murrine",

(telegram-desktop:7564): Gtk-WARNING **: 16:23:22.820: Unable to locate theme engine in module_path: "murrine",

(telegram-desktop:7564): Gtk-WARNING **: 16:23:22.820: Unable to locate theme engine in module_path: "murrine",

(telegram-desktop:7564): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: 16:23:22.893: cannot register existing type 'GdkDisplayManager'

(telegram-desktop:7564): GLib-CRITICAL **: 16:23:22.893: g_once_init_leave: assertion 'result != 0' failed

(telegram-desktop:7564): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: 16:23:22.893: g_object_new_with_properties: assertion 'G_TYPE_IS_OBJECT (object_type)' failed

Some links I found on the internet that seems to be related but didn't solved:

https://github.com/void-linux/void-packages/issues/14251
https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/65080

Any help on that? Thanks

Re: Can't run telegram-desktop anymore

Reply #2
Well, I'd use it if I could built it from AUR since I don't like installing bin packages from this repo. But building it give an kilometric error message (typical from c++ lol) that I don't want to handle now. But thanks for the information.

Reply #3
Well, I'd use it if I could built it from AUR since I don't like installing bin packages from this repo. But building it give an kilometric error message (typical from c++ lol) that I don't want to handle now. But thanks for the information.

If you decide to install it, kotatogram-desktop-bin installs out of the box.

Reply #4
FWIW, most people in the Artix TG group use kotatogram-desktop.
On fresh instalation of Artix-Plasma-Runit, kotatogram-desktop also does not work
(kotatogram-desktop:11566): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: 09:03:00.619: cannot register existing type 'GdkDisplayManager'

(kotatogram-desktop:11566): GLib-CRITICAL **: 09:03:00.619: g_once_init_leave: assertion 'result != 0' failed

(kotatogram-desktop:11566): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: 09:03:00.619: g_object_new_with_properties: assertion 'G_TYPE_IS_OBJECT (object_type)' failed

Reply #6
@0xf4b10 , if you are using the artix global theme, change that to breeze and tell us if telegram opens. I have the same issue with you and different theme solve the problem

Reply #7
Greetings,

If you wish to continue using the default Artix theme (or any other theme) and have an issue  with running/opening telegram-desktop, please run
Code: [Select]
 sudo pacman -S gtk-engines 
That must solve the issue.

Cheers. :)
#FreeHongKong