Skip to main content
Topic: VirtualBox 5.20 host modules dkms not compiling (Read 2835 times) previous topic - next topic

VirtualBox 5.20 host modules dkms not compiling

Hello,
VirtualBox is essential for my operation. I have there the invoicing application that only runs on MS. If I don't fix this before tomorrow, I'll have to steer away to another distro, systemd or not, that's how important it is

So, today I upgraded to VB 5.20 and the modules are not there to load. After investigation, dkms is not compiling them on installation:
Code: [Select]
make: Entering directory '/usr/lib/modules/4.9.56-1-lts/build'
gcc: error trying to exec 'cc1': execvp: No such file or directory
But cc1 exists in /usr/lib/gcc//x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/7.2.0/cc1
So, first I uninstalled gcc-multilib and friends, and installed gcc, and friends. Reinstalled modules: No change.
Then I made a soft-link to /usr/bin, just to get another error:
In file included from /var/lib/dkms/vboxhost/5.2.0_OSE/build/vboxnetflt/include/iprt/types.h:31:0,
                 from /var/lib/dkms/vboxhost/5.2.0_OSE/build/vboxnetflt/r0drv/linux/the-linux-kernel.h:34,
                 from /var/lib/dkms/vboxhost/5.2.0_OSE/build/vboxnetflt/linux/VBoxNetFlt-linux.c:24:
/var/lib/dkms/vboxhost/5.2.0_OSE/build/vboxnetflt/include/iprt/stdarg.h:44:12: fatal error: stdarg.h: No such file or directory
 #  include <stdarg.h>
            ^~~~~~~~~~
compilation terminated.
This is above my understanding, can somebody help, please?

Re: VirtualBox 5.20 host modules dkms not compiling

Reply #1
So, today I upgraded to VB 5.20 and the modules are not there to load. After investigation, dkms is not compiling them on installation:

I've installed virtualbox without any problem and without to compile it! The bin modules are in the community repository. Did you verify, in /etc/pacman.conf that the community repository is active?
I use dkms for the virtualbox-host-dkms, I've "recompiled" it today, for both the lts kernel version (the same you are using) and the zen version (I use it), without any problem. Maybe that you need to activate also the 32bit repository? They are lib32 and multimedia.

The other thing to control is: did you install the linux-lts-headers? The error message don't find a standard .h file.

I hope this can help you.

PS: I installed also, from AUR, the virtualbox-ext-oracle: very usefull.

Reply #2
Thank you for helping.

Yes, community is active:
[system]
Include = /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist
[world]
[galaxy]
[multilib]
Include = /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist-arch
[extra]
[community]

linux-lts-headers is installed
I can't understand why cc1 is not seen unless I make a symlink, and I've already reinstalled gcc. Also can't understand how the header files are not being seen although they are installed. Probably another symlink is missing but I don't know where they are, not at /usr/src as they should.

It's a bit too messy for me, I'm giving up. I'm working on a minimal system of another distro on another partition that shall be ready by tomorrow. Thank you anyway.

Reply #3
You need our [lib32], place it above [multilib].
[system]
Run 'pacman -Syyu' and retry. If you get another failure, remove recursively gcc (or gcc-multilib) with 'pacman -Rsc gcc' , make a note of the packages removed and reinstall all of them.
Just out of curiosity, since you're on our linux-lts, why don't you also use our virtualbox-host-modules-artix package?

Reply #4
Thank you for helping.

Before your reply, I had decided to give the system another chance. After all, as Manjaro-openrc, it gave me stability and very good service for a considerable time. Thanks to the devs for that.

So, I uninstalled all Manjaro kernels and leftovers, introduced lib32 in pacman.conf, took out multilib (should I?), uninstalled gcc and friends, installed again gcc-multilib that I had in the first place, solved a corrupt pgp key problem, and basically uninstalled almost everything that didn't have a known repository except the lib32* because it would uninstall wine, teamviewer and a lot of other things that I need. I wonder if they are working, no time to check now.

Then tried to reinstall virtualbox-host-modules, hadn't noticed the artix version and still haven't tried, we'll do next. The fact is the error was still there.

Then went to the command line with dkms, build and installed with no errors! I wonder how.

The main thing is that VB is working now and I can rest. Tomorrow I'll try the virtualbox-host-modules-artix to check if it builds correctly on installation, as it should.

Thank you for everything.

Reply #5
You must left multilib in its place, simply add lib32 before multilib. This is mandatory cause, by now, the porting of the multilib environment in lib32 is not yet completed.

The behavior that you get is very strange. Probably, when you migrated from Manjaro-openrc, something happens. I did the same, migrating from Manjaro-openrc, but after a week (and a solid backup, I started with a fresh installation and a lot of "collateral effects" disappear. With the new ISO is a fast step and you can have a clean working environment.

I use also this trick, to replicate the installed applications, without having to re-install everything by hand:
pacman -Qqen > pkglist-repo.txt
pacman -Qqem > pkglist-aur.txt
these commands create the list of all the programs installed from the standard repos and from AUR and create 2 files.

These commands use the previously created files, to automatically reinstall everything from the standard repo and from AUR.
pacman -S --needed $(< pkglist-repo.txt)
yaourt -S --needed --noconfirm $(< pkglist-aur.txt)

Obviously you can edit the created files and to remove all the programs that you no longer want to replicate in the new system.

I hope its useful.

Reply #7
Thank you both for your support, it's good to know you're not alone in the dark  :)

@nous: the problem is the version of the host modules is earlier than the main application.

@francesco: thank you for the advice, it's a very clever way of cleaning a system. I don't have the time right now but I'll do it soon.
You still have to customize your configurations though, because, if you just copy them over, you probably are going to end up with the same problems.

Reply #8
@nous: the problem is the version of the host modules is earlier than the main application.

5.2.0 modules are in testing:
% yaourt virtualbox
1 galaxy-testing/virtualbox-ck-guest-modules 5.2.0-3
    Guest kernel modules for VirtualBox running under Linux-ck.
2 galaxy-testing/virtualbox-ck-host-modules 5.2.0-3
    Host kernel modules for VirtualBox running under Linux-ck.
3 galaxy-testing/virtualbox-guest-modules-artix 5.2.0-2
    Virtualbox guest kernel modules for Arch Kernel
4 galaxy-testing/virtualbox-host-modules-artix 5.2.0-2
    Virtualbox host kernel modules for Arch Kernel
5 galaxy/virtualbox-ck-guest-modules 5.1.30-1
    Guest kernel modules for VirtualBox running under Linux-ck.
6 galaxy/virtualbox-ck-host-modules 5.1.30-1
    Host kernel modules for VirtualBox running under Linux-ck.
7 galaxy/virtualbox-guest-modules-artix 5.1.30-1
    Virtualbox guest kernel modules for Arch Kernel
8 galaxy/virtualbox-guest-utils-openrc 20170919-1 (openrc-galaxy)
    OpenRC virtualbox-guest-utils init script
9 galaxy/virtualbox-host-modules-artix 5.1.30-1

Reply #9
Thank you.

FYI, tried to press the "Like" button but got:
Error in Likes

An Error Has Occurred : SyntaxError: JSON.parse: unexpected character at line 2 column 2 of the JSON data

Reply #10
I temporarily fix the issue by installing older Virtualbox from Arch archives. Once 5.2.0 modules are moved from testing to stable, I will  upgrade to new version. For time being 5.1.30 works fine for me.
Linux user since 1997.
Red Hat -> Mandrake - > Arch - > Slackware -> Manjaro -> Artix / OpenBSD

Reply #11
Yes, 5.1.30 worked perfectly well for me as well, and I'm not al all eager for the latest and greatest.

The fact is, 5.20 just poured in without my notice and, after installed, I wouldn't like to go back to Arch and inadvertently mess up my system.

Anyway, although pacman is not building correctly in this specific case (my case), command line dkms is working fine and that's enough until I find out what's wrong. Thank you for your comment.

Reply #12
virtualbox-5.1.30 did not bring any ballast from Arch repository and when you run upgrade again, Artix will offer immediately upgrade to 5.20 so you'd better set up pacman not to upgrade virtualbox until we have new versions of modules in stable repository. So downgrading using archive is safe, quick and easy fix.
Linux user since 1997.
Red Hat -> Mandrake - > Arch - > Slackware -> Manjaro -> Artix / OpenBSD