Skip to main content
Topic: Cannot install (multiple problems) (Read 545 times) previous topic - next topic

Cannot install (multiple problems)

1. Cannot install xfce-S6: Although the live-cd boots up (rather than the previous immediate termination due to not finding ethernet), it still cannot complete due to not finding ethernet.

2. In contrast, xfce-runit does complete (to the reboot point). Please make xfce-S6 behave as xfce-runit.

3. However, I

-a: use BTRFS for my filesystem
-b: do NOT want to install the root to top -level
-c: use rEFInd as my bootmanager (kernel EFI-stub as the bootloader).

Here the problem is that the installer is making arbitrary 'decisions', and like almost every other distro, documentation on the required kernel parameters is either well-hidden or non-existent. Please consider allowing the installer to provide 'true' partition 'self-management' and let the user determine paths and mount points.

But for the moment, PLEASE provide the 'correct' kernel parameters.

4. When the xfce-runit 'completes' the install and requests a reboot, it immediately fails on the 'mount new-root' (but of course, gives no hint as to what it is trying to mount). Any insight as to what is happening at this point would be appreciated.

(Geriatric noob, nothing is 'intuitively obvious')

Thanks

Re: Cannot install (multiple problems)

Reply #1
I have no idea how the graphical installer works, but your use case seems very unusual so your best bet is probably to just use the base iso since it lets you do whatever you want.