Skip to main content
Topic: error: target not found (Read 1595 times) previous topic - next topic

error: target not found

Then, where/how do I find it? 

This issue has come up time and time again.  I'm trying to update a program on my computer, which I know exists, but for some reason pacman doesn't know it's there.  Pacman probably recognizes it as a part of a set or different name completely, and I'm tired of searching the web for hours everytime this happens.

I suppose it would be impossible for anyone to compile a list of every single linux program in existence and link it to the package pacman installs on your pc, but it's entirely possible to do it with common programs like java and iwconfig.

I'm not asking for a specific program, because that would completely defeat the purpose of this question.

Re: error: target not found

Reply #1
Code: [Select]
pacman -Qo /usr/bin/<<appname>>
?

Reply #2
Can also install pkgfile and do pkgfile -s /usr/bin/?

Reply #3
You can find many programs and packages in repositories if you use pacman -Ss:
Code: [Select]
pasman -Ss something
If the package is not in repositories you can try your luck with AUR

Plus there are many other "package" managers which are forcing their ways into our elegant system like: flatpak, snap, npm, pip, gem etc.
If even this mess is not enough you can install things from whatever place on internet or media you can get them.

Making the list of all programs which are available for Linux is impossible, this is not iPhone or Android where "only" certified programs can be installed. This is wild world where you are the king.

I'm not asking for a specific program, because that would completely defeat the purpose of this question.
Use your preferred search engine to find it, that should give you a link to the official websites and from there you can proceed.

Reply #4
Can also install pkgfile and do pkgfile -s /usr/bin/?
There should be no need to bother with pkgfile.
For basic needs there is "pacman -F" which works almost the same way as other pacman commands.
You first update database: $ sudo pacman -Fy
And than use it normally: $ pacman -F something

for more info check manual or help pages.