Skip to main content
Topic: Forgive the noob questions :-( (Read 1572 times) previous topic - next topic

Forgive the noob questions :-(

Hi - new to the forums.

I have previously dabbled with various distros, and then came across Artix, which looks really interesting.

I have never used Arch before, but am always keen to try.

I downloaded the artix ( cinammon - Open Rc ) iso, flashed to a drive and booted to the live desktop.

All good, in fact better than Debian, because it recognised my Broadcom wifi- Yay!

Then I attempted to open Mirodi.

I got the mini ''washing machine''   for a few seconds

And then a few more

and more.

In fact, no applications would open at all?

By chance I logged out and in again and- hey presto- it works.

O.K this is where I show my true NOOBNESS.

I wanted to install some  programs  ( brave browser, express vpn, email etc), and this is where I got stuck.

I was expecting a package manager to be available similar to some of the ''other'' more mainstream distros.

I went to the AUR, typed in ''brave'', and ir gave me various things, but I didnt recognise many of the formats?

Using terminal,  no ''apt-get'', I couldn't find snaps,  couldn;t install ''yay'' or anyway tio install programs.

Now forgive my ignorance, but how do I install programs? -  Arch has a massive repo, but I cant find a simple way of installing things.

Or are  there more things to upgrade in the Artix OS before I can do these things?

If you can stifle a yawn, and have the patience to explain in laymans terms, I would be most grateful.

BTW, I couldn't find anything understandable in the documentation., and PLEASE, don't say there are plenty of simpler, idiot enabled distros :-) = I LIKE TO LEARN.

Many Thanks

Pootler

Re: Forgive the noob questions :-(

Reply #1
I will only write this very brief comment before going to sleep.

I was expecting a package manager to be available similar to some of the ''other'' more mainstream distros.
Artix is using "pacman" package manager. You can also install some graphical things like Pamac or Octopi.

I LIKE TO LEARN
Artix wiki mostly contains only Artix specific things. You should always be aware and check Archwiki (and filter systemd mentions in your head)

For pacman check:  https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Pacman
For AUR:  https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Arch_User_Repository
For AUR helpers:  https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/AUR_helpers

-  brave can be installed from AUR (you can do that by hand or with some AUR helper)
- regarding "broken" midori on ISO or after installation? I have no idea what the problem is, you can for start install firefox.

Some basic pacman commands:
Code: [Select]
# System update
pacman -Syu

# Package Installation
pacman -S <package> # eg: pacman -S firefox

# When you get error "404 cant retrieve file from mirror" (or something similar) run:
pacman -Sy # or $ pacman -Syy # to forcefuly refresh database

# To search for packages in repositories
pacman -Ss something

# to remove package
pacman -R <package> # eg: pacman -R firefox

# to get HELP with some pacman command
pacman -h
pacman -Sh
pacman -Qh
pacman -Rh
#etc..

Reply #2
THanks very much for the reply.

I will study it.

and--- goodnight :-)

Pootler

Reply #3
Bonjour,

Welcome  8)

I have previously dabbled with various distros, and then came across Artix, which looks really interesting.
Yes it is !

sudo pacman Syyu
sudo pacman -S pamac-gtk

Then you will find pamac (Add/remove software) in menu / system

For pacman see (but don't forget to write sudo before the commands) :
https://floki.blog/2020/02/artix

You're welcome

Reply #4
Useful info for a newbie.  In my test install of the LXDE edition I could not find Pamac in pacman (guess it was there) so followed a quite convoluted method for compiling it plus deps. Try this next time

Reply #5
Useful info for a newbie.  In my test install of the LXDE edition I could not find Pamac in pacman (guess it was there) so followed a quite convoluted method for compiling it plus deps. Try this next time
Both Pamac and Octopi are (for now) in Artix repositories.

Reply #6
Under LXDE, I don't know whether to install pamac or pamac-gtk?

Did you look for Pamac or pamac?
Did you look for Pamac-gtk or pamac-gtk?
sudo pacman -S pamac
sudo pacman -S pamac-gtk