Skip to main content
Topic: Printer Problems (Read 1661 times) previous topic - next topic

Printer Problems

I can set printer settings but they are not saved, even after giving the root password. The cups interface is the same and won't save the settings. Any help at all welcome.

Re: Printer Problems

Reply #1
Did you try setting it up using your DE's print settings?

Reply #2
Yes thats what I meant in the first few words sorry if not clear. I also installed an hp network printer using hplib  and this had the same problem.

Reply #3
I can set printer settings but they are not saved, even after giving the root password. The cups interface is the same and won't save the settings. Any help at all welcome.
That's weird, especially after providing the root password. Can you check (with lsattr) if there are extended attributes set on /etc/cups/cupsd.conf? Or rename it and start afresh?

Reply #4
Deleting the cupsd.conf file and removing the printers on a reinstall the file did not come back
To get the above file back I reinstalled cups but this complained about permissions 775 on installed files and 770 on the new  packages.
Found a work around I installed cups-pk-helper which forces the system-config-printer to use policy kit and this works.