Skip to main content
Topic: Supported DE's (Read 2549 times) previous topic - next topic

Supported DE's

I was just wondering what DE's people here are using. I'll be switching to artix on the weekend and want to try something new like budgie or deepin. I've always been an XFCE guy but I'm bored.

What are you using? Is it functional?

Re: Supported DE's

Reply #1
All of them work, except perhaps Gnome which has a hard dependency on systemd, although I haven't tested it because Gnome sucked ever since it moved to gtk3.
That said, I've tested MATE (my daily driver), LXQt, KDE and XFCE4.

Reply #2
I use Cinnamon and that works well too.

Reply #3
Thanks guys. Glad to know XFCE works. I'll try running deepin or budgie and report back here later.

Reply #4
The one issue I had with Xfce was getting usb to show up in the thunar. Eventually I just installed Dolphin so I could see my extrenal drives. Other than thta I have ihad no real issues with xfce

Reply #5
The one issue I had with Xfce was getting usb to show up in the thunar. Eventually I just installed Dolphin so I could see my extrenal drives. Other than thta I have ihad no real issues with xfce
No need to install half of KDE install gvfs and start thuner as a daemon dbus-start- thunar --desktop in start up apps

Reply #6
I use Openbox and some LXDE utilities but I've tested LXDE itself and it works great.

Reply #8
Hello. for "automouting" i am using "udiskie" which is nice utility

In terms of DE yoy have to ask yourself these questions:
1. How do i want to work with my computer / system ?
2. What kind of desktop environment i prefer ?

For me i was simple: I am too lazy to learn new things which some mad programmer introduced and another changed after a week.
In the end i ended with OpenBox with utilities from different DEs (mostly from xfce) and i am still playing with it and tweaking it as time goes by...