Skip to main content
Topic solved
This topic has been marked as solved and requires no further attention.
Topic: [SOLVED] cannot boot from artix base USB (Read 5616 times) previous topic - next topic

[SOLVED] cannot boot from artix base USB

Hi all,

I am moderately comfortable in linux. I downloaded and created a artix base installation (runit) USB drive using dd as described in Arch linux wiki. However, when I try to boot from this drive on a Lenovo Thinkpad X200, it displays a whole screen of endlessly scrolling message of 'loading' and does not boot. Admittedly, I have not tried to boot from this USB drive on another computer, but I did recreate it with the same method with same outcome. I noticed another message on this board about a similar issue that was solved by not using a PS2 keyboard, but mine is different since it is a laptop with no PS2 keyboard attached.

My guess was that my laptop doesn't boot via UEFI but rather uses conventional BIOS that may be causing this problem, assuming that artix USB didn't support this. I admit that this is a wild and probably incorrect guess.

Thanks for troubleshooting with me.

Re: cannot boot from artix base USB

Reply #1
Hi hakayova
Artix iso's can boot using UEFI and legacy BIOS.
What tool do you use to write the image with? Tools that usually work for me are Etcher on Linux, and Rufus on Windows.

Reply #2
Thanks for the reply @Artist . I used CLI tool dd to write the image on the drive. I will try etcher too and see if that makes a difference; however, dd has never failed me before.

Reply #3
I use/used dd like: dd if=file.iso of=/dev/sdb bs=1M

Reply #4
I just tried it again this time using the USB drive that was created by Etcher with the same outcome. I tried it on another Thinkpad, which totally failed to recognize it as a bootable drive at boot time and did not even list it as an option. I will download the image again and recreate; may the iso image is corrupted somehow...

Reply #5
I use/used dd like: dd if=file.iso of=/dev/sdb bs=1M
This is the command I used:
Code: [Select]
sudo dd if=artix-base-runit-20200214-x86_64.iso of=/dev/sdb bs=64K conv=noerror,sync status=progress

I don't think the problem is due to this step, but I will give it the benefit of the doubt and redownload and recreate as mentioned above.

Edit:
Still no joy. I am  kind of considering the possibility of the image in question may be corrupted in US mirror. Would it be possible for someone to try perhaps following similar steps to make sure it is not the cause?

Reply #6
Would it be possible for someone to try perhaps following similar steps to make sure it is not the cause?
Have you checked the checksum?

Reply #7
Hi all,
I downloaded and created a artix base installation (runit) USB drive using dd as described in Arch linux wiki. However, when I try to boot from this drive on a Lenovo Thinkpad X200, it displays a whole screen of endlessly scrolling message of 'loading' and does not boot.

Bonjour,

During my recent installations of Artix OpenRC, I had to choose "Boot from CD" for the system to boot from the USB stick ...
I didn't understand why, but I've had quirks like this on other distros in the past.

----
Lors de mes récentes installations de Artix OpenRC, j'ai dû choisir "Boot from CD" pour que le système démarre depuis la clé USB...
Je n'ai pas compris pourquoi, mais j'ai déjà eu des bizarreries de ce genre sur d'autres distributions par le passé.

Reply #8
Yes x2 and verified.

$ sha256sum -c artix-base-runit-20200214-x86_64.iso.sum
artix-base-runit-20200214-x86_64.iso: OK

Quote from: tintin

During my recent installations of Artix OpenRC, I had to choose "Boot from CD" for the system to boot from the USB stick ...
Boot menu does not include that option for me on the laptop that doesn't have a CD drive. The USB drive is listed as an option but artix doesn't boot from it and freezes the screen (attached). The other laptop has a CD drive, which is included as an option in the boot menu, but the USB drive isn't. Choosing the CD drive from that menu doesn't result in any action.

I tried it on a third computer, which is a desktop and ended up with the same frozen screen on the attached image. I am now convinced that the base image is broken, but proving me wrong is easy. Somebody please boot from the same image and confirm that it is working for you... You don't even need to install anything, just boot into the live system from a USB drive and turn it off. Please?

Reply #9
hi,
i can confirm, that ISO works. i can boot from USB without problems. Tested base-openrc and base-runit ISOs

first step is probably not necessary, but i do it everytime:
sdX= sdb sdc sdd etc.

1. prepare usbdisk
cfdisk /dev/sdX  
- delete all created partition
- create new primary partition
- mark as bootable
- save and exit

2. copy ISO to usbdisk
dd if=/tmp/artix-base-runit-20200214-x86_64.iso of=/dev/sdX oflag=direct  bs=1048576
reboot...
works

Reply #10
Well, it turns out that the thumb drive was defective. I tried another one and walla! It worked on the first attempt. I am sorry for the trouble. I should have thought about it before. Thank you all for your patience with me.