Skip to main content
Topic: Missing /run on first boot? (Read 869 times) previous topic - next topic

Missing /run on first boot?

To keep it short, this is what I'm getting on the first boot after a fresh artix install.
:: Starting tmpfiles-dev
/usr/lib/rc/sv.d/tmpfiles-dev: line 9: tmpfiles: command not found
:: Starting tmpfiles-setup
/usr/lib/rc/sv.d/tmpfiles-setup: line 9: tmpfiles: command not found
:: Starting cleanup
install: cannot create regular file '/run/runit/stopit': No such file or directory
install: cannot create regular file '/run/runit/reboot': No such file or directory
:: Initialization complete
- runit: leave stage /etc/runit/1
- runit: enter stage:/etc/runit/2
runsvchdir: default: current
ln: failed to create symbolic link '/run/runit/service': No such file or directory
There's no login prompt, none of the ttys work (they just echo the keyboard input).
Some background:
I've followed the instructions on https://wiki.artixlinux.org/Main/Installation, tried the whole process three times. I've successfully installed artix on my other pc, following this exact proccess.

What could have went wrong?

Re: Missing /run on first boot?

Reply #1
Do you have the tmpfiles package installed?
Chris Cromer

Reply #2
Do you have the tmpfiles package installed?
I can't answer that right now since I've moved on to an openrc installation, which works somewhat.
However, I have the "opentmpfiles 0.2-9" package installed on my runit pc.
I don't remember installing it myself, could it be that it's missing as a dependency somewhere in the latest install process?

Reply #3
I don't remember installing it myself, could it be that it's missing as a dependency somewhere in the latest install process?

This had been the case for a short amount of time, two packages moved a wee bit too early in stable.
You unfortunately hit this glitch when installing.
Anyhow, all fixed and fine, apologies.

You could chroot into this borked system and just issue a normal update, which would fix it.

Reply #4
This had been the case for a short amount of time, two packages moved a wee bit too early in stable.
You unfortunately hit this glitch when installing.
Anyhow, all fixed and fine, apologies.

You could chroot into this borked system and just issue a normal update, which would fix it.

Same issue happened with me but after installing some apps to work it as a daily driver.
Then I've removed unwanted dependencies and restarted my machine. Stuck with /run/runit/service no login prompt at all.
Now I again freshly installed Artix and it is working as good as I wanted.

I want to ask if the above issue happened again without knowing what I've done then what should I do to avoid installing again the full distro?

By the way I'm newbie and I love the Artix it's amazing distro.

Reply #5
Same issue happened with me but after installing some apps to work it as a daily driver.
Then I've removed unwanted dependencies and restarted my machine. Stuck with /run/runit/service no login prompt at all.
Now I again freshly installed Artix and it is working as good as I wanted.

I want to ask if the above issue happened again without knowing what I've done then what should I do to avoid installing again the full distro?

By the way I'm newbie and I love the Artix it's amazing distro.

Well I was expecting  reply on my post as I can not see any post related to my query.

So here is one more issue I'm getting when I start the machine. I usually use internet via hotspot no ethernet connection as of now.

The issue is when I start my machine without any internet connection it won't start or show any login prompt at all only terminal block blinks and stuck on top left side. I am talking this after the boot screen shows neofetching of artix.

It starts only when I connect the internet with my usb cable where I have to restart my machine again and again to start it successfully.

Kindly resolve this issue asap.