Skip to main content
Topic: Python 3.9 rebuild - problems report here please (Read 3079 times) previous topic - next topic

Python 3.9 rebuild - problems report here please

I created this topic to find out and help fix any issues after a big rebuild python 3.9.

Please keep in mind that all python packages (your private, from AUR or installed via pip) need to be rebuild (AUR) or uninstalled and reinstalled (pip). If none of this helps, please email me the problem here. We will try to solve it (if the broken package is not incompatible with python 3.9).

Re: Python 3.9 rebuild - problems report here please

Reply #1
With ueberzug installed (18.1.6.3), image preview in ranger stays open even after I exit ranger, because the python process is left open:
Code: [Select]
$ ps aux | grep ueberzug
strajder 25442  0.5  0.3  53936 30080 pts/2    S    10:59   0:00 /usr/bin/python /home/strajder/.local/bin/ueberzug layer --silent
strajder 25553  0.0  0.0   9280  2372 pts/2    S+   10:59   0:00 grep --color=auto ueberzug
$
When I do pkill -9 ueberzug (have to use -9), the window disappears. With python-ueberzug-git, this doesn't happen.

Edit: Side-effect of this is that for example, package fontpreview-ueberzug-git must be uninstalled to install python-ueberzug-git, because it specifically depends on ueberzug and doesn't accept python-ueberzug-git. With ueberzug installed, it also leaves the font preview window open after closing the fontpreview program itself.

Edit 2: Removing the file ~/.local/bin/ueberzug (how did that got there?) doesn't help, the only difference is ~/.local/bin/ueberzug being replaced by /usr/bin/ueberzug.

Reply #2
seems, that mainstream fixed some bugs https://github.com/seebye/ueberzug/commits/master

can't there be a problem there? it's possible that no one reported it to archlinux  ->  it doesn't have to be a bug on the package side... if -git version works, seems as bug on side of ueberzug

Reply #3
Well, upon inspection, I can see that the latest tag on their Github repo is 18.1.6, and in comparison:
$ yay -Si ueberzug | grep -e'Last Modified' -e'Build Date' -eVersion
Version         : 18.1.6-3
Build Date      : Thu Nov 12 18:51:48 2020
$ yay -Si python-ueberzug-git | grep -e'Last Modified' -e'Build Date' -eVersion
Version         : 18.1.5.a8ac9c3-1
Last Modified   : Tue 05 Nov 2019 11:50:33 PM CET
$
That means they introduced a recent bug in 18.1.6, and actually downgrading to 18.1.5 solves it.

Reply #5
you're wrong!
it's exactly the opposite, the bug is fixed in the master, which you also installed (that's why the git version works for you).  yay installed the latest version, so the bug is fixed in git master, but not in 18.1.6 and not in 18.1.5
see the PKGBUILD source:

source=("git+${url}.git#branch=master")
you have newest code installed

if no branch or commit is defined in PKGBUILD, the latest commit in the master is always installed

see
sudo pacman -Q python-ueberzug-git

Reply #8
Terminator was behaving oddly just now, after using it for a while the mouse cursor and desktop started freezing for a few seconds, then you got back control, then it would freeze again. Closing it didn't help, rebooting (doing this in the brief times allowed) did. I haven't had any similar problems with xfce4-terminal. I haven't used it for a while though, and thought I would try it as it is written in Python - however, it could be this issue here which seems to predate the python upgrade:
https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=259770

Reply #9
Terminator was behaving oddly just now, after using it for a while the mouse cursor and desktop started freezing for a few seconds, then you got back control, then it would freeze again. Closing it didn't help, rebooting (doing this in the brief times allowed) did. I haven't had any similar problems with xfce4-terminal. I haven't used it for a while though, and thought I would try it as it is written in Python - however, it could be this issue here which seems to predate the python upgrade:
https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=259770
this bug reported more than a month before rebuild really has nothing to do with python 3.9