Skip to main content
Topic solved
This topic has been marked as solved and requires no further attention.
Topic: [SOLVED] Thinkpad Trackpoint no longer detected. (Read 1133 times) previous topic - next topic

[SOLVED] Thinkpad Trackpoint no longer detected.

Hi,
The trackpoint on the Thinkpad (T480) does not get detected. When I cat /dev/input/mouse1 it shows the trackpoint is indeed working and loaded by the kernel, but Xorg does not seem to detect it.
It is not visible in `xinput`, and the Xorg log doesn't help much either. Dmesg shows the Trackpoint being loaded:

Code: [Select]
2020-12-05 11:39:24.072674193  [   17.051511] psmouse serio2: trackpoint: IBM TrackPoint firmware: 0x0e, buttons: 3/3
2020-12-05 11:39:24.072675963  [   17.096432] input: TPPS/2 IBM TrackPoint as /devices/rmi4-00/rmi4-00.fn03/serio2/input/input17

I didn't think this would be an Artix related issue until I saw someone else with the same problem, still unresolved.
I'm at a loss.

Re: Thinkpad Trackpoint no longer detected.

Reply #2
Yes, I have read both. I always consult wikis and answers on Stackexchange before making a forum post myself.
I have used Artix (and before, Arch) for up to a year on this laptop. The Trackpoint worked fine up until a few days ago. As my post explained, it is loaded by the kernel and I can see input when I cat /dev/input/mouse1.

Reply #3
Ok, so downgrade your kernel, or try use lts version. Can be kernel bug in your case

Reply #4
Ok, so downgrade your kernel, or try use lts version. Can be kernel bug in your case
Running the LTS kernel, it indeed seems to have been a bug supposedly introduced in a recent version of the kernel.
What seems odd is that it was being recognised in dmesg, but not libinput. Either way, thank you for the help.