Skip to main content
Topic: ARM image (Read 1999 times) previous topic - next topic

ARM image

I downloaded an image which appears to be for the RPI4 and I needed to install for Odroid N2.
I used fchroot  on Funtoo to  chroot on it I uninstalled the kernel and installed one for N2 as well as u-boot for N2
When trying to boot I got a message about a corrupted image. I noticed that u-boot name for the dtb had -n2 added to it but the ini file had the original name without the -n2. Before I had that fixed I had infinite error messages on serial.

I fixed this by erasing those and copying the kernel and u-boot from the ArchLinux image.
I then recompile the kernel using ARMTIX instead of ARCH. It now boots nicely.

I did find a bug in the Artix support for serial debugging. During the boot the serial access works but not after. I couldn't find the inittab file to fix the problem so I had to figure out what the hell is the change. I am a gentoo and funtoo guy so it took a while to figure out what the alternative is. I got it fixed by adding the correct init files.

It always takes a long time for funtoo on the arm boards so I thought I would give armtix a try.

I will post this when I have my stage file stored on my https://suzielinux.com web site.

I do have one question on artix.  Has anyone done a change of systemd to openrc on a 32 bit ARM boards. Most of my boards are not 64 bits but 32 bits and I use funtoo and yocto for those. I didn't care for the systemd with archlinux so I am not using it.
My favorite boards are beagle board X15 and beagle bone AI.

PS. If there are funny typos you can blame my Mac which keeps correcting what it thinks are errors. For armtix for example which is changed to arctic by the corrector.

Michel

Re: ARM image

Reply #1
ARMtix images are currently generic aarch64 only. Odroid N2 instructions can be found here. In short, both default kernel and -n2 one work. U-boot is provided by ALARM but they make all kernels installed as /boot/Image thus making it impossible to have 2 kernels installed at the same time. ARMtix kernels have version specific names instead to resolve conflict. Thus you need to have correct kernel in boot script
Serial console address depends on board and kernel. I can't predict all of them and our inits don't detect them automatically. Thus you have to manually add init script for proper tty (i don't know how to make it for s6 though, it's one of the reasons why i don't provide image for it)
I don't have any 32-bit ARM but migration process should be arch-independent
ARMtix

Reply #2
Thanks, I will look it up later. Right now I need to get my Odroid HC4 up and running with armtix.  My comment was on the image downloaded was more about the fact that it said that the image is corrupted. I did change the scripts to match the names of the installed files. Basically what I had done under chroot was to uninstall the generic kernel and installed the Odroid n2 kernel and u-boot. I then found out that I could not compile the kernel under the chroot so I went to boot off the micro SD. That is when I encountered the problems. I then downloaded the Odroid N2 rootfs from ArchLinux and copied over the u-boot and kernel.

I was able to compile the kernel after booting using the package file. The only thing I changed in there were the text ARCH to ARMTIX. I guess I can change the package to make sure that it doesn't get overridden by another one during an update. I will likely do that with the HC4. It does take a long time to compile the kernel.

One complaint about the blog. On Linux I cannot see the whole message. There is a little white box that you can use to expand the text but it is not possible to do so for the whole message. I don't have such issue on the Mac. I was using Debian 10 with Firefox 78.5.0esr. The main reason for using Debian lately is for work since Funtoo no longer supports 32 bit and on ArchLinux it keeps refusing to mount USB device after one or two unmount. All my port are 3.0 ports. It is on a Ryzen 7 PC.

Michel

Reply #3
My comment was on the image downloaded was more about the fact that it said that the image is corrupted
That's strange. Usually i test images in VM before uploading and they work fine. Of course, i had to add init script for agetty.ttyAMA0 to have login.
ARMtix