Skip to main content
Topic solved
This topic has been marked as solved and requires no further attention.
Topic: [SOLVED] Freeze - unfreeze - freeze, reboot to fix (Read 2603 times) previous topic - next topic

[SOLVED] Freeze - unfreeze - freeze, reboot to fix

Earlier today I had the strange freezing thing again, which I had before using Terminator, (I used Terminator recently with no ill effects)  where the desktop would lock up for a few seconds then you could briefly move the pointer, so I closed all open apps and selected shutdown and rebooted, after rebooting it worked again. I had started xfce4 terminal, Pale Moon Browser, then when I started Chromium the freezing effect started before Chromium had fully drawn itself onscreen, it did complete eventually in the periods of motion, before I closed it again. There was nothing unusual in me running these apps though and it had not happened with them previously. After rebooting it was fine and I ran updates which updated the kernel (linux-zen) and I rebooted again.

The warnings, errors etc are in the pastebin link from /var/log/debug and some are normal to see, but some are not, there are another 2 successful boots at the end and the current session too, to give some idea of which are the usual things, plus here's what's config'd to go in there:

$outchannel mydebug,/var/log/debug,104857600
*.warning;*.err;*.crit;*.alert;*.emerg;*.panic  :omfile:$mydebug

https://pastebin.com/6AQbV8n9

Working fine since, but it was fine before too.

Re: Freeze - unfreeze - freeze, reboot to fix

Reply #1
your driver or drm cause kernel panic... Unfortunately combination  nouveau or nvidia driver+ drm + linux kernel cause often the problems.
there is nothing strange when in the next release of kernel or drm it fix again.

The solution is one (from my point of view). Say "f**k you Nvidia" and buy next time supported HW for linux (Intel or AMD).

try update to 5.9.14

Reply #2
Yes, already upgraded earlier today after that happened, I usually run updates several times a day now, everything is so reliable now and if anything, that approach is easier than leaving it longer:
$ uname -r
5.9.14-zen1-1-zen
But I had been running that kernel version for several days, and used these apps, with no bad effects, so this is a rarely seen effect, I wouldn't know if it was fixed or not:
[2020-12-09T13:34:05+0000] [ALPM] upgraded linux-zen (5.9.12.zen1-1 -> 5.9.13.zen1-1)
One day there will be fantastic open source graphics support, it does seem to be getting better overall, using Nouveau and posting details when things goes wrong is a small step towards that goal.
When it comes to used hw it mostly depends on what is about for a cheap price and the GPU is often not even mentioned, so it's pot luck, as it happens all my computers had Nvidia, perhaps why they were cheap  ;D

Reply #3
One day there will be fantastic open source graphics support

that day is here, you just can't buy ndivia   :D

amd graphics have great kernel support. I have a Ryzen 3400G and it's a great processor and GPU ...

I'm closing the thread, if anything, get in touch

Reply #4
that day is here, you just can't buy ndivia   :D

amd graphics have great kernel support. I have a Ryzen 3400G and it's a great processor and GPU ...

I just replaced my nvidia card with its own defective driver with a radeon rx550: everything works without having to install anything 8-)

Reply #5
Again today - just booted, started Terminator (which had been working earlier that day) then it started. When I tried CTRL-ALT-F2 nothing happened except the mouse pointer disappeared and nothing responded at all. But then with CTRL-ALT-F7 everything started working normally again, I could then switch TTY as normal,  and it's still fine a couple of hours later. The X session refreshed or something? I switched from XFCE to MATE now, to see if it happens in future.
https://pastebin.com/KX2RT38E

Code: [Select]
$ ag "(EE)" Xorg.0.log
[    10.413] Current Operating System: Linux ax 5.9.14-zen1-1-zen #1 ZEN SMP PREEMPT Sat, 12 Dec 2020 22:20:32 +0000 x86_64
(WW) warning, (EE) error, (NI) not implemented, (??) unknown.
[    10.424] (EE) Error systemd-logind returned paused fd for drm node
[    10.498] (EE) Failed to load module "nv" (module does not exist, 0)
[    10.662] (II) Initializing extension MIT-SCREEN-SAVER
[    11.825] (EE) systemd-logind: failed to take device /dev/dri/card0: Device or resource busy
[    11.825] (EE) /dev/dri/card0: failed to set DRM interface version 1.4: Permission denied
[    46.003] (EE) event12 - AlpsPS/2 ALPS DualPoint Stick: client bug: event processing lagging behind by 17ms, your system is too slow
[    67.997] (EE) client bug: timer event13 trackpoint: scheduled expiry is in the past (-357ms), your system is too slow
[    67.997] (EE) client bug: timer event13 trackpoint: scheduled expiry is in the past (-71ms), your system is too slow
[    67.997] (EE) client bug: timer event13 trackpoint: scheduled expiry is in the past (-60ms), your system is too slow
[    67.997] (EE) client bug: timer event13 trackpoint: scheduled expiry is in the past (-48ms), your system is too slow
[    67.997] (EE) client bug: timer event13 trackpoint: scheduled expiry is in the past (-35ms), your system is too slow
[    67.997] (EE) client bug: timer event13 trackpoint: scheduled expiry is in the past (-22ms), your system is too slow
[    67.998] (EE) client bug: timer event13 trackpoint: scheduled expiry is in the past (-10ms), your system is too slow
[    84.034] (EE) event13 - AlpsPS/2 ALPS DualPoint TouchPad: client bug: event processing lagging behind by 1250ms, your system is too slow
[   123.873] (EE) client bug: timer event12 debounce: scheduled expiry is in the past (-513ms), your system is too slow
[   123.873] (EE) client bug: timer event12 debounce: scheduled expiry is in the past (-399ms), your system is too slow
[   123.873] (EE) client bug: timer event12 debounce short: scheduled expiry is in the past (-412ms), your system is too slow
[   172.938] (EE) client bug: timer event13 middlebutton: scheduled expiry is in the past (-1937ms), your system is too slow
[   172.938] (EE) client bug: timer event13 middlebutton: scheduled expiry is in the past (-1709ms), your system is too slow
[   178.949] (EE) event13 - AlpsPS/2 ALPS DualPoint TouchPad: client bug: event processing lagging behind by 1973ms, your system is too slow
[   235.376] (EE) client bug: timer event12 debounce: scheduled expiry is in the past (-22ms), your system is too slow
[   257.387] (EE) event13 - AlpsPS/2 ALPS DualPoint TouchPad: client bug: event processing lagging behind by 402ms, your system is too slow

Reply #6
please use nvidia driver, not nouveau driver. Nouveau can have bug, or HW can fail... use another driver to exclude possible variants.

it's laptop or desktop? can be bad cable

Reply #7
The MATE desktop was much worse, it froze up after a few minutes using Terminator or Mate terminal.
I downloaded the latest Linux kernel from the Arch testing repo:
linux-5.10.1.arch1-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.zst
and installed it with -U and made sure Grub booted that one.
So far MATE is running with 2 terminators, one Mate terminal and a few other apps open, although it's a job to be certain with this, after only a short time testing, it looks promising it might be fixed in 5.10. It might just be waiting to freeze any second now though!
$ uname -r
5.10.1-arch1-1
This is an Arch kernel not an Artix one, it was the newest precompiled kernel package I found. I have linux-zen installed too so could easily choose that in the grub menu if this had not worked, if anyone else tries this, a plan B if it doesn't work is a good idea, although it's not the first time I used an Arch kernel in Artix, no problems from that before.  ;D

Reply #8
The MATE desktop was much worse, it froze up after a few minutes using Terminator or Mate terminal.
I downloaded the latest Linux kernel from the Arch testing repo:
linux-5.10.1.arch1-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.zst
and installed it with -U and made sure Grub booted that one.
So far MATE is running with 2 terminators, one Mate terminal and a few other apps open, although it's a job to be certain with this, after only a short time testing, it looks promising it might be fixed in 5.10. It might just be waiting to freeze any second now though!
$ uname -r
5.10.1-arch1-1
This is an Arch kernel not an Artix one, it was the newest precompiled kernel package I found. I have linux-zen installed too so could easily choose that in the grub menu if this had not worked, if anyone else tries this, a plan B if it doesn't work is a good idea, although it's not the first time I used an Arch kernel in Artix, no problems from that before.  ;D
Don't install arch linux kernel !!! Dkms will not works! 5.10.1 (linux and linux-zen) are in our [testing] repo too.

Reply #9
That would be a better idea (I've no dkms packages installed)
$ uname -r
5.10.1-artix1-1
It's under <mirrorname>/repos/gremlins/os/x86_64/ and I looked in system as the regular kernel is there  :-[
There's a 5.10 Zen version I haven't tried yet in there too.

No - bad idea, the Artix 5.10 still freezes! Back to the Arch 5.10, no issues with that so far.

Reply #10
That would be a better idea (I've no dkms packages installed)
$ uname -r
5.10.1-artix1-1
It's under <mirrorname>/repos/gremlins/os/x86_64/ and I looked in system as the regular kernel is there  :-[
There's a 5.10 Zen version I haven't tried yet in there too.

No - bad idea, the Artix 5.10 still freezes! Back to the Arch 5.10, no issues with that so far.
Artix and arch are same kernel, difference is only gcc signature

Reply #11
Not exactly the same, according to .BUILDINFO (some minor buildenv differences) and .PKGINFO (different size, indicates different compiler options might have been used).
But while I was looking into that the Arch 5.10 started the freeze/unfreeze, although it had been fine for several hours of use over a few boots up to then. So that's not relevant. Trying the lts kernel now, so far so good:
$ uname -r
5.4.84-1-lts

Reply #12
Not exactly the same, according to .BUILDINFO (some minor buildenv differences) and .PKGINFO (different size, indicates different compiler options might have been used).
But while I was looking into that the Arch 5.10 started the freeze/unfreeze, although it had been fine for several hours of use over a few boots up to then. So that's not relevant. Trying the lts kernel now, so far so good:
$ uname -r
5.4.84-1-lts

Seems as HW problem for me...

Reply #13
Yes, it's a possibility, (I had a faulty mobo once and after half an hour or so running the desktop froze and everything stopped dead, replacing it fixed it) except this suggests it's a known / current bug:
https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=259770
https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1894257
And I'm trying  to encourage it to happen by using Mate and Terminator, with 4.9 yesterday it would barely last a few minutes, and it didn't happen at all with XFCE / Pale Moon / XFCE4 terminal except with Terminator and once when I started Chromium as well.
Certainly hardware specific.

Reply #14
Still working OK. Looking at various bug reports, it first appeared in Arch in the 5.8.14 kernel. Also affected is the 5.8.0-29-generic x86_64  Ubuntu 20.10 / 5.8.0-7630-generic Ubuntu, so they might have backported it in or use a different versioning scheme.
I might try the 5.8.14 to confirm this after testing the 5.4.84-1-lts more.