Skip to main content
Topic: Trying to install Artix on a macbook pro (Read 1608 times) previous topic - next topic

Trying to install Artix on a macbook pro

I wanted to try it out with a preconfigured install, and so Initially I tried the experimental i3 iso, but now currently I'm waiting on LXDE, but this also seems to not be working.

When it boots to the USB, the gui loads very slowly, and hitting keys requires me to wait a second for the screen to update.
when I select it to run from the stick, it gets stuck at `Triggering uevents...`, and just stays like that for hours, seemingly doing nothing.

Initially I put the i3 iso onto my usb by running dd if=artix-i3-s6-20200704-x86_64.iso of=/dev/sde status='progress'
  I waited maybe an hour for this one.
Afterwards I tried it with balenaEtcher, still not getting past uevents....
  So I stopped it after about 15 minutes of waiting
And currently what I'm trying, and has been currently stuck on for about 45 minutes, is the LXDE s6 iso

I'm not really sure what to do, any suggestions would be helpful as I'd rather have literally anything else as an OS instead of macOS on this thing.

Re: Trying to install Artix on a macbook pro

Reply #1
That's a tough one. I remember in the past there were reports of the kernel not having enough entropy and causing udev to get stuck. One way to workaround it was to hit a bunch of random keys on the keyboard (this creates entropy). This sounds silly but did you try mashing keys during the udev part of the boot up and seeing if it does anything?

I'm don't know anything about macs though. Perhaps there's some other hardware thing causing the problem here.

Reply #2
That's a tough one. I remember in the past there were reports of the kernel not having enough entropy and causing udev to get stuck. One way to workaround it was to hit a bunch of random keys on the keyboard (this creates entropy). This sounds silly but did you try mashing keys during the udev part of the boot up and seeing if it does anything?

I'm don't know anything about macs though. Perhaps there's some other hardware thing causing the problem here.

Hmm it seems as though mashing keys does not seem to be doing anything :|

Reply #3
If it took an hour to write the ISO to the USB, which is way too long, then it could very well be the USB is not in good shape. Did you already try with another USB thumb drive?

And to write - also note the most recent images are on https://artixlinux.org/download.php - try with

Code: [Select]
dd bs=4M if=artix-i3-s6-20200704-x86_64.iso of=/dev/sde status=progress oflag=sync

And when dd is done wait a few minutes before dismounting and removing the USB.

Reply #4
If it took an hour to write the ISO to the USB, which is way too long, then it could very well be the USB is not in good shape. Did you already try with another USB thumb drive?

And to write - also note the most recent images are on https://artixlinux.org/download.php - try with

Code: [Select]
dd bs=4M if=artix-i3-s6-20200704-x86_64.iso of=/dev/sde status=progress oflag=sync

And when dd is done wait a few minutes before dismounting and removing the USB.

I'm sorry that I wasn't properly clear in my post!
What I was waiting for was for it to start running artix from the USB on the macbook pro so I could run the graphical installer, not that it was taking an hour for it to read to the usb.

I wont be able to install artix on the macbook now anyways, as the macbook does not want to respond to left clicks, even though it can recognize me moving a plugged in mouse, or the trackpad. I might get a regular laptop to put artix on instead, or actually bother to try putting it on my desktop pc.

Reply #5
This may be related, I came across it while looking for something else. Recent kernels can cause problems with Mac Books, they give versions in the linked bug report. Using the LTS kernel might help.
https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1878596