Skip to main content
Topic solved
This topic has been marked as solved and requires no further attention.
Topic: D-link Dwa-172 firmware (Read 3394 times) previous topic - next topic

D-link Dwa-172 firmware

Hi everybody. I have just bought a D-link usb-wifi with a RTL8812au chipset. A 'lsusb' recognizes plugged hardware, but no more beyond this. I don't know if I proceeded bad after this, but searching for further information I got a package built in AUR, this is dkms-rtl8812au-git. After installation a 'dmesg' recognizes wifi dongle, but I cannot use it yet. I must say that I also installed dkms and linux-lts-headers (Kernel installed actually is 4.9.44-1-lts). At installation time I found a log with the following message:

cat /var/lib/dkms/rtl8821au/5.1.5.r59.gb863326/build/make.log
DKMS make.log for rtl8821au-5.1.5.r59.gb863326 for kernel 4.9.44-1-lts (x86_64)
Fri Nov 10 07:07:45 CET 2017
make ARCH=x86_64 CROSS_COMPILE= -C /lib/modules/4.9.44-1-lts/build M=/var/lib/dkms/rtl8821au/5.1.5.r59.gb863326/build  modules
make[1]: Entering directory '/usr/lib/modules/4.9.44-1-lts/build'
gcc: error trying to exec 'cc1': execvp: No such file or directory
  CC [M]  /var/lib/dkms/rtl8821au/5.1.5.r59.gb863326/build/core/rtw_cmd.o
make[2]: *** [scripts/Makefile.build:294: /var/lib/dkms/rtl8821au/5.1.5.r59.gb863326/build/core/rtw_cmd.o] Error 1
make[1]: *** [Makefile:1493: _module_/var/lib/dkms/rtl8821au/5.1.5.r59.gb863326/build] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory '/usr/lib/modules/4.9.44-1-lts/build'
make: *** [Makefile:1857: modules] Error 2

And that is all I can do with few knowledges. I don't know If I made a mistake or a package is to installed also or followed a wrong instruction. If any other knows how to solve it or anyone can help me, please, do it.
Thanks in advance.

Re: D-link Dwa-172 firmware

Reply #2
Lots of thanks. I will do it. I'll post the result.

Reply #3
Once, I thank your help.But I could not install and make work it. Not having a tuto to install it on artix, I really don't know if following instructions mixed from a debian forum and one from arch/chakra is teh problem, but I cannot find anymore. There is a package built in Artix repository, RTL8812AU with different firmware versions. I tried both with no success. I also installed linux-lts-headers and dkms-sorted. I never installed from git repository as Artix has a package. If anyone has the clue to have it working, please write down instructions..

Reply #4
It's not clear from your message what you couldn't make work. The rtl8812au package or gcc? What's your error. Make sure you have the base-devel package group installed.
Code: [Select]
pacman -S base-devel
Press [ENTER] to install the entire group.

Reply #5
Once, I thank your help.But I could not install and make work it. ..... If anyone has the clue to have it working, please write down instructions..

Baktor, I tried to install the rtl8812au-dkms-git package (version 5.2.9.3.r42-g93d037f-1) from the AUR repo and all was right. I think that if you'll install the base-devel, as suggested from Nous, you'll be able to complete the installation without problem.
To install the package I used the command:

pacaur -S rtl8812au-dkms-git

if you don't have pacaur installed, you can use the command:

yaourt -S rtl8812au-dkms-git

Please, launch the installation from a terminal, so you can see the log in real time and, if you'll have a problem, you can cut and paste the output directly from the terminal. IMHO its more clear than the log.

So the steps are:

sudo pacman -S base-devel
yaourt -S rtl8812au-dkms-git

HINT: if you'll decide to install pacaur (I prefer to use it despite yaourt), you must install it with the command: yaourt -S pacaur.
During the installation step you'll get an error about a missing key, while compiling the cower program. To solve it is very simple, simply use the command:

gpg --recv-key KeyTo Insert

and replace KeyToInsert with the key reported from the previous error. After completing this task, re-launch the installation and all will be right.

I hope this can help you to solve the problem.

Reply #6
Thank you for your help and quick reply. I reinstalled base-devel (included gcc) and rtl8812au-dkms-git, but got no success. So I have installed rtl8821au... ( I had done it before) and it seems to work right now. The only difference between this and last installation was the graphic way for the last and a command line for the newest. I must suppose this to be the problem. I may give this problem a solved.