Skip to main content
Topic: About System on KDE (Read 1925 times) previous topic - next topic

About System on KDE

Fo those of you who use KDE, open krunner (Alt+Space) and type 'about'. You will then see a listing called About System. Clicking on it gives the following image, with very incorrect information. Can we change it from wherever it seems to be gathering this? (I will try to find out from KDE, where they get this from)

Re: About System on KDE

Reply #1
The logo path is defined in /etc/xdg/kcm-about-distrorc, which is owned by kinfocenter. So We should change that to point to our own logo. Do we have an official 'svg'? The arch one is at /usr/share/about-distro/archlinux-logo.svg.

Reply #2
And the other offending file is /usr/lib/os-release, which is owned by filesystem. This one can easily be changed, as it is already in our repos.

Reply #3

We do :

Code: [Select]
~ >>> pacman -Ql artix-icons
artix-icons /usr/
artix-icons /usr/share/
artix-icons /usr/share/icons/
artix-icons /usr/share/icons/artix/
artix-icons /usr/share/icons/artix/logo.png
artix-icons /usr/share/icons/artix/logo.svg
artix-icons /usr/share/icons/artix/logo_text.png
artix-icons /usr/share/icons/artix/logo_text.svg

And the other offending file is /usr/lib/os-release, which is owned by filesystem. This one can easily be changed, as it is already in our repos.

I'll open a pull request on this
If I can hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!

Reply #4
@thefallenrat For some reason, it renders as a huge logo and covers most of the About page. Any idea how that can be controlled?

I used the 'svg'. The 'png' does the same.

Reply #5
@thefallenrat it renders as a huge logo and covers most of the About page.

How big was it? Maybe I could nag @Shiny Rice to make a logo like the arch one ( meaning adding 'Artix Linux' string next to artix logo)

In the meantime. @physkets , try using /usr/share/icons/artix/logo_text.svg
If I can hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!

Reply #6
The KDE desktop is currently not artix branded, and it will stay for a while this way.

Reason is, we still haven't imported all the necessary packages to build the package we have in the repos from our repos.
we still need arch repos, but this is being worked on.
some numbers, we currently have about 1000 packages already in all our repos, and system repo is a completed task.
We got about 500 packages in world, and I expect these to roughly double until we can switch off arch repos to build packages.
Until this has been achieved, we probably won't do any desktop related packages, and the user needs to rely on arch extra repo to get the DE of choice. once the task of completing all depend packages has been completed, we may start to do desktop related packages, but we also lack hardware resources for that currently.
This is a long way to go.

Reply #7
The KDE desktop is currently not artix branded, and it will stay for a while this way.

Reason is, we still haven't imported all the necessary packages to build the package we have in the repos from our repos.
we still need arch repos, but this is being worked on.
some numbers, we currently have about 1000 packages already in all our repos, and system repo is a completed task.
We got about 500 packages in world, and I expect these to roughly double until we can switch off arch repos to build packages.
Until this has been achieved, we probably won't do any desktop related packages, and the user needs to rely on arch extra repo to get the DE of choice. once the task of completing all depend packages has been completed, we may start to do desktop related packages, but we also lack hardware resources for that currently.
This is a long way to go.

So I will not miss this opportunity to ask for hardware contributions, if you have an idle machine, container or cloud instance that you could spare, we will really appreciate it.