Skip to main content
Topic: Dunst Notifcations Not Working with Every Application (Read 1495 times) previous topic - next topic

Dunst Notifcations Not Working with Every Application

Hi, I am using Artix (runit), on Kernel 5.10.16-artix1-1

I am using dwm

I have dunst and libnotify installed, and I am using Luke Smith's dunstrc. I get notifications, for example with Kdenlive, KDE Connect, Thunderbird, flameshot. However, I don't get any notifications from Signal or Discord, and I have turned on the Desktop notification settings.

I am using the dwm "autostart" patch and I have
Code: [Select]
dunst &
in the autostart.sh

I put
exec dbus-launch dwm
in my .xinitrc file.

How can I get dunst to work with Signal and Discord? It works fine with other applications.
Thank you!

Re: Dunst Notifcations Not Working with Every Application

Reply #1
I suspect those are using Electron or some Chromium thing and maybe they have an option is settings/preferences to use native notifications.

If dunst is working fine normally than your system is configured correctly and these "applications" are misbehaving.

Reply #3
Try:
$ notify-send "This is a test"
if you don't see a notification, then your notification daemon isn't working as it should.

If this does display a notification, then those other programs are misbehaving.

Running that command displayed  a notification. That must mean Signal and Discord are misbehaving. What can I do to make them behave correctly?

In the settings of Signal and Discord, I have enabled the desktop notifications.

Reply #4
Write to SIgnal and Discord support.