Skip to main content
Topic solved
This topic has been marked as solved and requires no further attention.
Topic: [SOLVED] Missing support for R8168 network card (Read 1171 times) previous topic - next topic

[SOLVED] Missing support for R8168 network card

I recently switched from my old Manjaro kernels to the mainline Artix kernel (Linux package), and since doing so, the realtek r8168 NIC in my laptop no longer works. With the old manjaro kernels there was a specific package for the r8168 kernel modules, an equivalent does not seem to exist for the new Artix kernel.

I tried to install the r8168-dkms package from AUR, but it will not compile, the relevant error message from the build log is:

Code: [Select]
Makefile:938: *** "Cannot generate ORC metadata for CONFIG_ORC_UNWINDER=y, please install libelf-dev, libelf-devel or elfutils-libelf-devel".  Stop.

I already have elfutils installed, and there is no equivalent elfutils-dev package in any of the artix or arch repos. Googling for that error shows up a few people having problems getting virtualbox modules to compile, not much else. I did see a reference to the CONFIG_ORC_UNWINDER being a new feature in the 4.14 kernel, which at least aligns with why the AUR package won't compile with the Artix kernel.

So... back to my original point. There is no support for r8168 in Artix - is this a known issue? If so, is there an ETA on a fix? I know the Artix team is already overun with things to do and fix, I do not want to sound pushy, just looking for some answers.

EDIT: nevermind, ran an update, r8168 modules appeared in Galaxy. Thank you team!
... because systemd sucks