Skip to main content
Topic solved
This topic has been marked as solved and requires no further attention.
Topic: Version mismatches galore (Read 1702 times) previous topic - next topic

Version mismatches galore

So I switched to Artix the other day to avoid systemd, but I've encountered countless version mismatches with the available packages. I saw the page on the wiki, and enabled the testing repositories, but a lot of my packages still aren't working. Is it possible to use the Arch repositories for these until the Artix ones are more stable?

Re: Version mismatches galore

Reply #1
So I switched to Artix the other day to avoid systemd, but I've encountered countless version mismatches with the available packages. I saw the page on the wiki, and enabled the testing repositories, but a lot of my packages still aren't working. Is it possible to use the Arch repositories for these until the Artix ones are more stable?

The only arch repos you should be using are "extra" and "community".

Best regards.
We should try to be kind to everyone.....we are all fighting some sort of battle.

Reply #2
There will keep being dependency version mis-matches till Artix has completely ported all packages to its repos. Until then, I would suggest that you use regular stable (not testing) repos and be cautious while updating. i.e., check the forum, IRC etc. before doing so, especially for large updates.

Is it possible to use the Arch repositories for these until the Artix ones are more stable?

Well, many Arch pacakges contain systemd dependencies, and may malfunction, so that is not advised.

Reply #3
Well, the main ones I'm having issues with are virtualbox and chromium, which seem to require icu>=60

Reply #4
let's say you have arch pkg that came from core and it is pack4.2-4 and on Artix system it is pack4.1-1 and it shows as mismatch (despite of being problematic or not)
You can use

Code: [Select]
$ pacman -S system/pack4.1-1

To replace the arch pkg with the Artix package, so there is no mismatch (pack in repository is older than local... or something).

For example try without finally installing

pacman -S system/linux
See the version number and hit n (no)
pacman -S system-testing/linux
You will see a later version.
The command specifically installs the package from specific repository.
If you enable [core] on your pacman.conf  then pacman -Sy (update) then
pacman -S core/linux 
you will install the linux std kernel from arch

Reply #5
Thank you, I didn't know how to specify a cetain repo. It looks like chromium and virtualbox came from the arch repos; should I use an old PKGBUILD that used icu 59 or something?

Reply #7
Well that's super weird then. I don't think I've changed anything from the default mirrorlist (sourceforge is at the top) and I've pacman -Syy'd more times than I can count trying to solve this.
Just tested again, it's at 59.1-1.
:: Synchronizing package databases...
 system                                153.4 KiB   902K/s 00:00 [###################################] 100%
 world                                 101.2 KiB   506K/s 00:00 [###################################] 100%
 galaxy                                 11.8 KiB  0.00B/s 00:00 [###################################] 100%
 multilib                              169.3 KiB   770K/s 00:00 [###################################] 100%
 extra                                1642.5 KiB  2.39M/s 00:01 [###################################] 100%
 community                               4.2 MiB  7.04M/s 00:01 [###################################] 100%
warning: icu-59.1-1 is up to date -- reinstalling
resolving dependencies...
looking for conflicting packages...

Packages (1) icu-59.1-1

Total Installed Size:  34.16 MiB
Net Upgrade Size:       0.00 MiB

:: Proceed with installation? [Y/n]

Reply #8
Well that's super weird then. I don't think I've changed anything from the default mirrorlist (sourceforge is at the top) and I've pacman -Syy'd more times than I can count trying to solve this.
Just tested again, it's at 59.1-1.
 system                                153.4 KiB   902K/s 00:00 [###################################] 100%
 world                                 101.2 KiB   506K/s 00:00 [###################################] 100%
 galaxy                                 11.8 KiB  0.00B/s 00:00 [###################################] 100%
 multilib                              169.3 KiB   770K/s 00:00 [###################################] 100%
 extra                                1642.5 KiB  2.39M/s 00:01 [###################################] 100%
 community                               4.2 MiB  7.04M/s 00:01 [###################################] 100%

Packages (1) icu-59.1-1

You have the old mirrorlist, install the new one from the testing repositories.

https://forum.artixlinux.org/index.php/topic,27.0.html

Reply #9
I tried that before, but...
-> % sudo pacman -Syy icu
 system-testing                         12.6 KiB  0.00B/s 00:00 [###################################] 100%
 system                                153.4 KiB   122K/s 00:01 [###################################] 100%
 world-testing                        1016.0   B  0.00B/s 00:00 [###################################] 100%
 world                                 101.2 KiB  1265K/s 00:00 [###################################] 100%
 galaxy-testing                         76.0   B  0.00B/s 00:00 [###################################] 100%
 extra                                1642.7 KiB  4.22M/s 00:00 [###################################] 100%
 community                               4.2 MiB  4.59M/s 00:01 [###################################] 100%

Packages (1) icu-59.1-1

Reply #10
Why are you mixing testing and stable icu is in stable for me.
  Have you synced the repros correctly with pacman -Syyu , that will force sync and upgrade you system, pacman -S package will install  pkages,  pacman  Syyuu  will downgrade after you go back to stable repro when you have borked it if you are lucky.

icu-60.2-1  its in the system repro,          since 16 December 2017

warning: icu-60.2-1 is up to date -- reinstalling

Packages (1) icu-60.2-1

Total Installed Size:  35.06 MiB

Reply #11
@betaredex Did you replace your mirrorlist with the new ones?

Reply #12
@physkets I just did. Everything's working now, thanks everyone.

Reply #13
Well, the main ones I'm having issues with are virtualbox and chromium, which seem to require icu>=60

really..  Did you upgrade to icu 60?  THis is an old problem that I thought was solved.