Skip to main content
Topic solved
This topic has been marked as solved and requires no further attention.
Topic: [SOLVED] Raspberi Pi, Artix KDE Possible? (Read 841 times) previous topic - next topic

[SOLVED] Raspberi Pi, Artix KDE Possible?

Hi,

I am thinking of getting a raspberry pi for the main purpose of installing rslsync (Resilio Sync) and use it as my own self hosted cloud storage using a few external USB Drives I have.

I wonder if it would be possible to install Artix on it? (from the same flash disk I installed this system - openrc, KDE, 64Bit?)
Or better download one of the distros mentioned on their web site? I for sure I prefer Artix for performance, lightness, speed... etc., plus probably I would network this machine with it and make it networked on lan with other machines at home).

I would like to access the files on the external USB through my Iphone and Ipad as well, which I couldn't find anything similar to Resilio Sync that is available for iOS. Other laptops at home can access through LAN or Resilio if they want.

Anybody tried Artix on raspberry pi?
Any recommendations or suggestions hughly appreciated.

System:  Kernel: 6.4.10-artix1-1 , KDE Plasma 5.27.7, HP Spectre x360 Convertible 13-ae0xx
Dual Core  i7-8550U bits: 64
8 GB Ram - SSD:  (250 GiB), BTRFS

Re: Raspberi Pi, Artix KDE Possible?

Reply #1
I wonder if it would be possible to install Artix on it? (from the same flash disk I installed this system - openrc, KDE, 64Bit?)
Raspberry pi is based on arm cpu and thus Artix installer won't work on it. ARMtix is Artix ported for aarch64 (rpi3 and 4) but if you want to go this way, be prepared that it is more complicated than x86_64 one. On pi4 it is also more problematic to install and requires better understanding of what you are doing.

Or better download one of the distros mentioned on their web site? I for sure I prefer Artix for performance, lightness, speed... etc., plus probably I would network this machine with it and make it networked on lan with other machines at home).
This way you less likely get into trouble.

As usual, once i see someone asking about rpi, i recommend to take a look at Rockchip or Allwinner based boards (e.g. Pine, Orange Pi, also Odroid is a good choice)
ARMtix

Reply #2
Raspberry pi is based on arm cpu and thus Artix installer won't work on it. ARMtix is Artix ported for aarch64 (rpi3 and 4) but if you want to go this way, be prepared that it is more complicated than x86_64 one. On pi4 it is also more problematic to install and requires better understanding of what you are doing.
This way you less likely get into trouble.

As usual, once i see someone asking about rpi, i recommend to take a look at Rockchip or Allwinner based boards (e.g. Pine, Orange Pi, also Odroid is a good choice)
Thank you @phoenix_king_rus
I just checked Rockship and Orange Pi.
I never new that there were alternatives to rpi.
By the way I found Seafile, as per the web site it is available for Arch, but tried:
lenovo:[limo]:~$ sudo pacman -Sy seafile
[sudo] password for limo:
:: Synchronizing package databases...
 system is up to date
 world is up to date
 galaxy is up to date
 extra is up to date
 community is up to date
error: target not found: seafile
lenovo:[limo]:~$ sudo pacman -Sy seafile-client
:: Synchronizing package databases...
 system is up to date
 world is up to date
 galaxy is up to date
 extra is up to date
 community is up to date
error: target not found: seafile-client
lenovo:[limo]:~$
Target not found. I wonder why? I'm missing a repo? What link should I add and which file?

EDIT: Thank you for your answer. I think I'll try (again) find out the answer to my above questions.
I'll mark it SOLVED
Thank you.
System:  Kernel: 6.4.10-artix1-1 , KDE Plasma 5.27.7, HP Spectre x360 Convertible 13-ae0xx

Reply #3
By the way I found Seafile, as per the web site it is available for Arch, but tried:Target not found. I wonder why? I'm missing a repo? What link should I add and which file?
As the website states, it's available on AUR, so you have to build it yourself with makepkg
ARMtix

Reply #4
As the website states, it's available on AUR, so you have to build it yourself with makepkg
Thank you very much @phoenix_king_rus