Skip to main content
Topic: dinit enters weekly section - ISOs available for download (Read 3685 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: dinit enters weekly section - ISOs available for download

Reply #1
Hi, as a long time fan of runit I support the efforts of developers like Konimex to promote runit and now dinit. I looked at https://github.com/davmac314/dinit/ to see if there is any comparison with other inits, but cannot find any.

Is it possible for someone to do a comparison of the Artix init systems. It seems to me that dinit is somewhat more complex than runit, but perhaps less complex than s6 and openrc. Looking at the various documentation it appears that the service files are quite complex and it's not made clear if there are simple defaults in place for things like log/pid etc. The main advantage over runit seems to be the explicit dependency handling, but it's not obvious if that extends to things like systemd targets.

Again thanks to the Artix developers.

Reply #2
I looked at https://github.com/davmac314/dinit/ to see if there is any comparison with other inits, but cannot find any.
Something like this?

Looking at the various documentation it appears that the service files are quite complex and it's not made clear if there are simple defaults in place for things like log/pid etc.
It's a declarative-style (think of... systemd) service description, but I don't think it's complex at all. Like the example here, logfile is as simple as logfile = /run/something.log (admittedly, I'm yet to write the defaults, but most of dinit services I wrote has the log files in /var/log/dinit/). pidfile is not even needed unless it's a bgprocess service. And... there's no defaults in place, it depends on the service itself.
now only the dinit guy in artix

Reply #3
Thanks, not sure I will be switching globally as yet, but I will try and test installing in a runit armtix rpi4.  One thing that I really like about runit is that it's very simple and in C. I feel far less competent in C++. That said runit has its own strangeness in logging.

Reply #4
I ran into an issue trying to reinstall my installation using openrc (I screwed up my audio testing something and didn't backup) and in the live environment when I basestrap openrc, for some reason, an error pops up saying that dinit and openrc are in conflict. I don't understand this, I've had this Live Environment in my USB before dinit came out of testing.

The only thing I can think of is if dinit accidentally became a hard dependency of one of the base or base-devel packages

Reply #5
Found the issue, basestrap tries to Auto select the dependencies when it gets to the providers and tries to Auto install elogind-dinit, so while using basestrap, I have to type in elogind-openrc.

Reply #6
Found the issue, basestrap tries to Auto select the dependencies when it gets to the providers and tries to Auto install elogind-dinit, so while using basestrap, I have to type in elogind-openrc.
Same thing happend to me, I didn't regret it and just instead installed `dinit` as my init, instantly amazed for its boot times.
CPU: Intel Core i3-4130 (4) @ 3.4GHz
GPU: Nvidia GeForce GT 710