Skip to main content
Topic solved
This topic has been marked as solved and requires no further attention.
Topic: Fatal Error That is bricking my system. Importas, S6 (Read 768 times) previous topic - next topic

Fatal Error That is bricking my system. Importas, S6

So about a week ago I updated my system. This update included the s6 update. I also installed zathura which has a systemd dependency. After rebooting when I installed the update, I would get an error message instead of the login prompt. This prevents me from logging in.

The error that I get is importas: fatal: USER not set. I looked on the announcements and noticed the post "s6: USER variable replaced with ARGS for agetty-*.conf files". So I booted from an ISO and chroot'ed into my system and changed all the agetty-*.conf files in /etc/s6/config/. I changed the ARGS="" line to ARGS="-a [username]"  (I inserted my username in [username]). I then rebooted without my ISO and got the same error.

I then uninstalled and removed zathura since I thought the systemd dependencies might have caused the issue but this also didn't do anything and I still have the same error.

I looked at my pacman logs as well, I found some weird things but I don't think they are related.

Please help me out, I looked all over the forum and internet, since this is due to a recent update, I could not find anything.

Re: Fatal Error That is bricking my system. Importas, S6

Reply #1
tty7 is the recovery getty. You can always login there. As for this particular error, are you sure you did a full upgrade and not some sort of weird partial upgrade? None of the agetty-tty run scripts read the USER variable so I do not know what that is originating from.

Reply #2
I also installed zathura which has a systemd dependency.
zathura is from Arch community repository, but it doesn't depend on systemd. Here's what it depends on:
Code: [Select]
Name            : zathura
Version         : 0.4.8-1
Description     : Minimalistic document viewer
Architecture    : x86_64
URL             : https://pwmt.org/projects/zathura/
Licenses        : custom
Groups          : None
Provides        : None
Depends On      : girara>=0.2.7  sqlite  desktop-file-utils  file  libsynctex
Optional Deps   : zathura-djvu: DjVu support
                  zathura-pdf-poppler: PDF support using Poppler
                  zathura-pdf-mupdf: PDF support using MuPDF [installed]
                  zathura-ps: PostScript support [installed]
                  zathura-cb: Comic book support [installed]
Required By     : zathura-cb  zathura-pdf-mupdf  zathura-ps
Optional For    : None
Conflicts With  : None
Replaces        : None
Installed Size  : 594.75 KiB
Packager        : Johannes Löthberg <[email protected]>
Build Date      : Sat Jul 31 13:58:39 2021
Install Date    : Wed Aug  4 12:53:49 2021
Install Reason  : Explicitly installed
Install Script  : No
Validated By    : Signature
Follow the guide to setup Arch repositories on Artix. Afterwards use pacman -Syyuu to fully update your system.
I looked at my pacman logs as well, I found some weird things but I don't think they are related.
What weird things exactly? Paste the logs using https://paste.artixlinux.org.

Reply #3
tty7 is the recovery getty. You can always login there.

I am pretty new to s6 and I am not sure how to login to tty7. When I start up my machine, I am not prompted with anything, the line "Importas: fatal: USER not set" is just spammed over and over again. I have to reboot my machine with an ISO and chroot if I want to get into it.

As for this particular error, are you sure you did a full upgrade and not some sort of weird partial upgrade? None of the agetty-tty run scripts read the USER variable so I do not know what that is originating from.

So this is from my pacman.log, taken from the day that I updated and started having this error.
ALPM SCRIPTLET ==> Activated s6-init
running 's6-rc-db-update.hook' ...
SCRIPTLET s6-rc-compile: fatal: unable to read /etc/s6/sv/built/type: No such file or directory
SCRIPTLET Error compiling database. Trying the system fallback paths!
SCRIPTLET s6-rc-compile: fatal: unable to read /etc/s6/sv/built/type: No such file or directory
SCRIPTLET The system fallback compilation failed. Something is really wrong with your service directories!
SCRIPTLET Check you /etc/s6/sv and /etc/s6/fallbacksv disrectories.
running 's6-rc-install.hook' ...
   ==> Add a service:
running 's6-rc-remove.hook' ...

And thats pretty much the only suspect part in the pacman log. Everything else(related to s6) upgraded sucessfully. I assume this is because of something I had done a long time ago when messing with services, but I have upgraded s6 multiple times since then with no errors.  I am not sure this is related to my current error.

I don't know if this matters, but on the day that I updated, I added mirrorlist-arch for my extra  and community tags in /etc/pacman.conf so that I could install zathura.

I am quite confused.

Reply #4
pacman -Syyuu to fully update your system.

What weird things exactly? Paste the logs using https://paste.artixlinux.org.

I feel the need to mention that I have been using ungoogled-chromium since I installed artix and whenever I update I have to ignore upgrading elogind because "installing elogind breaks dependency 'systemd' required by ungoogled-chromium".  This same thing just happened to me now when I tried to exec pacman -Syyuu.

Should I stop using ungoogled chromium?

I also posted my pacman.log in my reply to Dudemanguy.

Reply #5
I feel the need to mention that I have been using ungoogled-chromium since I installed artix and whenever I update I have to ignore upgrading elogind because "installing elogind breaks dependency 'systemd' required by ungoogled-chromium".  This same thing just happened to me now when I tried to exec pacman -Syyuu.

Should I stop using ungoogled chromium?
No, you should order Arch repos after Artix repos, as indicated in the wiki guide. Read it carefully and edit your /etc/pacman.conf.

I might add the explicit mention of this in the guide, since this is not the first time people overlook the given example pacman.conf.

Edit: Done. I've added a sentence about the ordering to the "Arch repositories" section, although that was already mentioned in the first paragraph in "Stable" section.

Edit 2: There's a section on the particular error message in the "Troubleshooting" article: Installing libelogind breaks dependency 'systemd-libs' / 'systemd'.

Reply #6
No, you should order Arch repos after Artix repos, as indicated in the wiki guide. Read it carefully and edit your /etc/pacman.conf.

I might add the explicit mention of this in the guide, since this is not the first time people overlook the given example pacman.conf.

Alright so I deleted my changes to the pacman.conf file and I downloaded artix-archlinux-support, which installed the artix version of elogind and now my pacman.conf file should be normal.

With my system fully upgraded, I rebooted and I still have the same importas error.

Reply #7
I am pretty new to s6 and I am not sure how to login to tty7. When I start up my machine, I am not prompted with anything, the line "Importas: fatal: USER not set" is just spammed over and over again. I have to reboot my machine with an ISO and chroot if I want to get into it.

Just hit ctrl+alt+f7. You can always switch ttys (ctrl+alt+f{1-7}).

So this is from my pacman.log, taken from the day that I updated and started having this error.
running 's6-rc-db-update.hook' ...
SCRIPTLET Error compiling database. Trying the system fallback paths!
SCRIPTLET The system fallback compilation failed. Something is really wrong with your service directories!
SCRIPTLET Check you /etc/s6/sv and /etc/s6/fallbacksv disrectories.
running 's6-rc-install.hook' ...
   ==> Add a service:
running 's6-rc-remove.hook' ...

Yup, there's your problem. Those are fatal errors so your s6-rc database is broken. I'm not sure what that "built" subdirectory is but I would recommend removing it completely because it's breaking your database compilation. After that, run this to manually create a new database.
Code: [Select]
sudo sh /usr/share/libalpm/scripts/s6-rc-db-update-hook

There should not be any more errors after that. In the future, if you want to make custom services, I would recommend placing them in /etc/s6/adminsv so that way the fallback compilation doesn't also break like it did in this case.

Reply #8
Just hit ctrl+alt+f7. You can always switch ttys (ctrl+alt+f{1-7}).

This helped me immensely. Did not know you could do that before.

There should not be any more errors after that. In the future, if you want to make custom services, I would recommend placing them in /etc/s6/adminsv so that way the fallback compilation doesn't also break like it did in this case.

Yes, It is fixed now. I do not have an error anymore. I will have to learn a little more before I tamper with services. Thank you so much.