Skip to main content
Topic solved
This topic has been marked as solved and requires no further attention.
Topic: Alternatives to cpufreq that don't rely on systemd? (Read 1241 times) previous topic - next topic

Alternatives to cpufreq that don't rely on systemd?

Hi all!

I'm very new here.  I used Manjaro XFCE for a year before wanting to jump ship from systemd.  I installed Artix XFCE with runit, and after doing some extensive configuration, there are only a few things that I miss from Manjaro that I'll get around to configuring (and probably be asking about around here in the coming weeks).

Right now specifically, I still have a laptop that runs Manjaro, and I'd like to eventually configure that as well to run Artix, but after updating my pacman.conf to the recommended repository mirrors, I'm still getting no results on a specific battery life saving tool from the Arch repos called auto-cpufreq.

Normally I'd just git clone it and get started downloading the various dependencies I need, but this one appears to require systemd.

Has anyone gotten Artix running on their laptops?  If so, how is your battery life?
And also, are there any alternatives to auto-cpufreq?
Any insights into this would be greatly appreciated, and thanks in advance!

Re: Alternatives to cpufreq that don't rely on systemd?

Reply #1
Never mind, I figured it out.  Luckily someone already wrote a script that enables auto-cpufreq without systemd.

For anyone who finds this, simply git clone the arch repository:

git clone https://aur.archlinux.org/auto-cpufreq.git

cd auto-cpufreq

makepkg -Si

makepkg --install

Then even though it works, you won't be able to enable it without scripts from this github repo:

https://github.com/AdnanHodzic/auto-cpufreq/tree/master/scripts

Then head to this directory:

cd /usr/share/auto-cpufreq/scripts

and then create these files:

sudo touch auto-cpu-freq-install.sh
sudo touch auto-cpu-freq-remove.sh

copy the contents of the files from the github repo into their respective files and then make them executable:

sudo chmod +x auto-cpu-freq-install.sh
sudo chmod +x auto-cpu-freq-remove.sh

You'll also need to take the run file and do the same in a different folder:

cd /etc/runit/runsvdir/default
sudo touch run
(copy the shell script from the github repo into here)
sudo chmod +x run

finally you should be able to run the install script from within the auto-cpu-freq  program:

auto-cpu-freq --install

And you're done (i think, I'm still very new to this and am not sure if this works).

Reply #2
I'm not too sure but I think there is a CPU Frequency Scaling package in the Galaxy Repo called cpupower. If not, then it's definitely in the Community Repo of Arch. Its what I used for frequency scaling because I used Cadence for a while.

Reply #3
Just checked, cpupower does exist in the Galaxy Repo of Artix so you can use that to change your governor rather than compiling from AUR