Skip to main content
Topic solved
This topic has been marked as solved and requires no further attention.
Topic: [SOLVED] Installation Goes OK, But Fail Installing Grub (Read 4269 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Installation Goes OK, But Fail Installing Gub

Reply #30
"and it is a UEFI machine."
Sorry, I was going by your earlier statement you were using UEFI.
So if you have MX linux installed and working, all you need to do is install Artix on a free partition, don't install grub to the MBR or anywhere, boot into MX and run update-grub and it should find Artix providing you have os-prober working, which you might need to enable, then you can choose Artix from the grub boot menu, or configure /etc/default/grub in MX to boot Artix as the first option, and run update-grub in MX after.

Alternatively you can install and use the Artix grub to boot MX but given the problems you have had so far it may be best to start out using the known-working MX linux grub as the main boot manager, and chain load Artix from that.
So, I should create another partition (say cut of home directory - 30GB OK?) then install Artix as usual on this partition without installing Grub.
Then from command:
Code: [Select]
su
update-grub

Then reboot, I will find Artix in Grub menu? Would it still access home partition normally?
Hopefully I can uninstall/delete MX and add it home.
System:  Kernel: 6.4.10-artix1-1 , KDE Plasma 5.27.7, HP Spectre x360 Convertible 13-ae0xx
Dual Core  i7-8550U bits: 64
8 GB Ram - SSD:  (250 GiB), BTRFS

Reply #31
Sorry for this post.

I said it is an EFI machine. Maybe I misexpressed. I meant it has/had EFI (I should have added that it was disabled)

P.S. is there a way to delete a post after posting? (in case it was done by mistake or whatever)?
System:  Kernel: 6.4.10-artix1-1 , KDE Plasma 5.27.7, HP Spectre x360 Convertible 13-ae0xx

Reply #32
You can edit posts, not delete them, but don't worry about it, pretty sure everyone on here says things wrong sometimes.  :)
Run update-grub from MX after installing Artix (but without doing grub-install on Artix, so you might have to select the right grub option in Calamares, not sure how it will be described) to use the MX grub. Start out like that as a first step if you have MX working now.
You can still try switching to Artix grub later but it would break down the problem into smaller parts using MX grub first.

Reply #33
You can edit posts, not delete them, but don't worry about it, pretty sure everyone on here says things wrong sometimes.  :)
Run update-grub from MX after installing Artix (but without doing grub-install on Artix, so you might have to select the right grub option in Calamares, not sure how it will be described) to use the MX grub. Start out like that as a first step if you have MX working now.
You can still try switching to Artix grub later but it would break down the problem into smaller parts using MX grub first.
Thats great news!
Thank you!
I will see how it goes.

Reply #34

https://forum.artixlinux.org/index.php/topic,3309.msg21631.html#msg21631
On my hard drive, I installed three Linux systems, but I only installed Grub on one system.
After doing an update (which requires a reboot) on one of the systems without GRUB, I restart the system which has GRUB and then run sudo update-grub.
Note: in / etc/default/grub I was led one day to add this line:
GRUB_DISABLE_OS_PROBER = "false"

This also applies to new installations.

Calamares did not create a uefi boot because the option was not enabled in the BIOS.
In general, an administrator password must be created in the Bios to be able to inhibit secure boot and/or choose UEFI mode.

Reply #35
 :)  :)  :)  :)  :)  :)  :)  :)  :)  :)  :)  :)  :)  :)  :)  :)  :)  :)  :)

Finally I am back to ARTIX after I just got BIOS fixed a few minutes ago.

I went to a maintenance center, they tried everything to get to BIOS. Nothing worked.
They installed Windows, BIOS update, falshed BIOS. Then reinstalled Artix.
Everything is working again as usual and even better than before (after intalling SSD and upgrading to 8GB RAM).

Now I'm back to all the stuff of getting my system updated, repos, and all the usual stuff.

Thank you guys for all the support and patience.
Apart from Artix being a wonderful distro, it is the forum here and all the instant support I always get.
Keep up the great work you are doing.

Thanks a billion.
(I hope I'll get everything working as before soon)
 :)  :)  :)  :)  :)  :)  :)  :)  :)  :)  :)  :)  :)  :)  :)  :)  :)  :)  :)