Skip to main content
Topic: Does Artix Calameres installer support NILFS2 filesystem? (Read 849 times) previous topic - next topic

Does Artix Calameres installer support NILFS2 filesystem?

Hello guys. Wanna experiment with NILFS2 filesystem and i forgot when I installed Artix if the  default.iso (for runit+xfce to be more specific) contains nilfs-utils package meaning if it has support for NILFS2 file system? So Calamares installer has NILFS2 option or is not supported at all by the official Artix Team? Warm regards  ;)

Re: Does Artix Calameres installer support NILFS2 filesystem?

Reply #1
I never heard of this file system, so I guess the default image might not contain it.
You can install it within live media via pacman and than start your installation process.

Reply #2
NILFS2 filesystem many say it's better than  BTRFS and definitely snappier than ext4. Will try to install from live session and see what i get from there. Thanks for suggestion as i thought we can't install packages in live environment due to read only nature of the live usb.

Reply #3
i thought we can't install packages in live environment due to read only nature of the live usb.
The live environment is loaded into an in-memory file system, so you can modify all files on it (for example, try sudo pacman -Syyu). The changes won't persist on reboot, however.

P.S: You are limited by the size of the overlay file system, so the above command may fail due to the lack of free space. It will upgrade packages as long as there is space left on /.

Reply #4
Tried twice to install after getting on board nilfs-utils, manually partitioned giving NILFS2 filesystem for root+home on the same partition + one swap partition and i get this error complaining about mkinitcpio for some error. Managed though third time to install having only home partition on NILFS2 and it works ok, however think i have to use the base iso

Reply #6
Even if NILFS2 might not be available through a fresh install, you can use an existing partition, copy its content with rsync to a NILFS2 partition, modify /etc/fstab and restore grub.[1] But you should know that NILFS2 lacks fsck. For data safety in case of a power outage or a hard reset I recommend modern XFS over NILFS2.
Code: [Select]
ARTIX Dinit + SDDM + Enlightenment