Skip to main content
Topic: Clementine libprotobuf (Read 3198 times) previous topic - next topic

Clementine libprotobuf

Hey guys, since the recent Clementine update I've been getting an error about libprotobuf.so.15

clementine: error while loading shared libraries: libprotobuf.so.15: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

updating to the extra/protobuf seems to solve it, so I guess I've got to wait for protobuf to get an update in the world repo

Anyone have an idea when that update might be? And does protobuf have some sort of systemd dependency??

Re: Clementine libprotobuf

Reply #1
Hey guys, since the recent Clementine update I've been getting an error about libprotobuf.so.15

clementine: error while loading shared libraries: libprotobuf.so.15: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

updating to the extra/protobuf seems to solve it, so I guess I've got to wait for protobuf to get an update in the world repo

Anyone have an idea when that update might be? And does protobuf have some sort of systemd dependency??

Protobuf-3.5.0.1-1 is in "world-testing" now...I don't know when it will move to "world". "Extra" has the same version (3.5.0.1-1), so it should be safe to use.

Best regards.
We should try to be kind to everyone.....we are all fighting some sort of battle.

Reply #2
Protobuf-3.5.0.1-1 is in "world-testing" now...I don't know when it will move to "world". "Extra" has the same version (3.5.0.1-1), so it should be safe to use.

Best regards.

ahh ok. I was worried the extra/protobuf might be something to do with SystemD, I had that problem before.

I love your avatar/name lol. Today is brought to you by the letter "F" for .... for forum etiquette's sake I won't finish that quote.
I can't believe John Dunsworth is gone now, very very sad, they'll never be able to continue without him.

Reply #3
ahh ok. I was worried the extra/protobuf might be something to do with SystemD, I had that problem before.

I love your avatar/name lol. Today is brought to you by the letter "F" for .... for forum etiquette's sake I won't finish that quote.
I can't believe John Dunsworth is gone now, very very sad, they'll never be able to continue without him.

You can check "world" occasionally for the updated protobuf, and install that version when it's available. ;)

"Trailer Park Boys" could never be the same w/o John Dunsworth as "Jim Lahey". He will appear in season 12 as filming was completed before his death. However, his role will not be recast after season 12.
http://www.tmz.com/2017/10/20/trailer-park-boys-will-not-recast-jim-lahey-john-dunsworth-death/

Best regards.
We should try to be kind to everyone.....we are all fighting some sort of battle.

Reply #4
I'm getting this error on all my computers now, I guess this also has to be updated in one of the artix repos, so I suppose I'll wait a while before running updates. Any idea when you guys are gonna be getting rid of the direct Arch Linux repos? I think that's what's going on, unless I'm mistaken which is always a possibility.

Code: [Select]
error: failed to prepare transaction (could not satisfy dependencies)
:: libquicktime: installing libx264 (2:152.20171224-1) breaks dependency 'libx264.so=148-64'

And yeah I heard that but I wasn't sure about season 12, thanks for confirming that. Must be coming out in march or april. PS Conky had a season 8 "ask me anything" webisode or whatever they call it, its only a couple minutes but its funny, I just saw it today but it apparently came out in 2014..

Reply #5
I'm getting this error on all my computers now, I guess this also has to be updated in one of the artix repos, so I suppose I'll wait a while before running updates. Any idea when you guys are gonna be getting rid of the direct Arch Linux repos? I think that's what's going on, unless I'm mistaken which is always a possibility.

:: libquicktime: installing libx264 (2:152.20171224-1) breaks dependency 'libx264.so=148-64'

And yeah I heard that but I wasn't sure about season 12, thanks for confirming that. Must be coming out in march or april. PS Conky had a season 8 "ask me anything" webisode or whatever they call it, its only a couple minutes but its funny, I just saw it today but it apparently came out in 2014..

I personally don't use clementine (I use qmmp since I'm running KDE and like to stay with qt5 apps), but I just tried installing it and "libquicktime" doesn't seem to be  a dependency (and I don't have "libquicktime" installed). You must have it installed as a dependency for another package. I do have "libx264" installed as a dependency for "ffmpeg",  and "mplayer", and it is from "world".
I'm stumped. ???
Hopefully someone more savvy than I can chime in here to help. :-[

Best regards.

Reply #6
I personally don't use clementine (I use qmmp since I'm running KDE and like to stay with qt5 apps), but I just tried installing it and "libquicktime" doesn't seem to be  a dependency (and I don't have "libquicktime" installed). You must have it installed as a dependency for another package. I do have "libx264" installed as a dependency for "ffmpeg",  and "mplayer", and it is from "world".
I'm stumped. ???
Hopefully someone more savvy than I can chime in here to help. :-[

Best regards.

Sorry for the confusion, that package has nothing to do with clementine (I think?), I'm just reporting it here so you guys know about it.

I like clementine because I use the clementine remote android app - its pretty great, so I never really see clementine itself, just the app, I run it on a computer that runs two ProjectM visualisers, I set it up this way because sometimes I do gaming on my Windows boot on my main PC.
Clementine has a QT5 version in the AUR but unfortunately its still unstable, I use LXDE with qt5ct & qt4-config as well.
I was actually just trying Clementine QT5 the other day, its a shame it crashes so constantly... Maybe they'll release a Clementine 2.0 in QT5 sometime in the near future.

I've made another post about similar errors I am getting, that thread can be found here:
https://forum.artixlinux.org/index.php/topic,340.new.html#info_2747

Reply #7
sudo pacman -Su
[sudo] password for artix:
:: Starting full system upgrade...
:: Replace compositeproto with world-testing/xorgproto? [Y/n] y
:: Replace damageproto with world-testing/xorgproto? [Y/n] y
:: Replace fixesproto with world-testing/xorgproto? [Y/n] y
:: Replace fontsproto with world-testing/xorgproto? [Y/n] y
:: Replace inputproto with world-testing/xorgproto? [Y/n] y
:: Replace kbproto with world-testing/xorgproto? [Y/n] y
:: Replace randrproto with world-testing/xorgproto? [Y/n] y
:: Replace recordproto with world-testing/xorgproto? [Y/n] y
:: Replace renderproto with world-testing/xorgproto? [Y/n] y
:: Replace scrnsaverproto with world-testing/xorgproto? [Y/n] y
:: Replace videoproto with world-testing/xorgproto? [Y/n] y
:: Replace xextproto with world-testing/xorgproto? [Y/n] y
:: Replace xf86dgaproto with world-testing/xorgproto? [Y/n] y
:: Replace xf86vidmodeproto with world-testing/xorgproto? [Y/n] y
:: Replace xineramaproto with world-testing/xorgproto? [Y/n] y
:: Replace xproto with world-testing/xorgproto? [Y/n] y
resolving dependencies...
looking for conflicting packages...
:: libxfont: removing fontsproto breaks dependency 'fontsproto>=2.1.3'

I don't know if this is related, it came up on the update today.  If you respond "y" to all there is a missing dependency, if you respond "n" to all then you can go about upgrading current packages.

Reply #8
I don't know if this is related, it came up on the update today.  If you respond "y" to all there is a missing dependency, if you respond "n" to all then you can go about upgrading current packages.
I responded yes to all and had no issues....running Plasma.

Best regards.

Reply #9
I don't know how I ended up installing libxfont, it didn't seem as anything depended on it, but I decided to remove it.  libxfont has a specific version dependency on fontsproto, libxfont2 does not care for which version.  libxfont2 is a dependency of xorg.  I wonder if something that changed in X left it as an orphan.

Anyway, libxfont's removal solves the bottleneck on upgrades but sometimes it is nice to be able to find out how things get to be in such a conflict.

Reply #10
I don't know how I ended up installing libxfont, it didn't seem as anything depended on it, but I decided to remove it.  libxfont has a specific version dependency on fontsproto, libxfont2 does not care for which version.  libxfont2 is a dependency of xorg.  I wonder if something that changed in X left it as an orphan.

Anyway, libxfont's removal solves the bottleneck on upgrades but sometimes it is nice to be able to find out how things get to be in such a conflict.
Yes I agree...it is good to try to keep track of such things whenever possible. It can be frustrating sometimes though. ;)

Best regards.