Skip to main content
Topic solved
This topic has been marked as solved and requires no further attention.
Topic: [SOLVED] Why isn't rc.local starting? (RUNIT) (Read 668 times) previous topic - next topic

[SOLVED] Why isn't rc.local starting? (RUNIT)

Hey, I'm new to Artix and i'm currently using the runit init system with it. And i want my wifi to be started automatically at boot.
I learned through research  that you can use rc.local to start things up with commands in this case "rfkill unblock all " but it doesn't seem to do it after reboot. What should i do?

Re: Why isn't rc.local starting? (RUNIT)

Reply #1
rc.local is a fossil from SysVInit age.  Clean runit system doesn't need it.

Artix Wiki runit page explains how to configure services fairly well.  Void's Services and Daemons article is another good manual for runit.

Depending on preferred network manager, it's enough to install either connman-runit or networkmanager-runit packages in Artix.   As both are only "managers", the real WiFi negotiation and connection job is done by wpa_supplicant-runit.  Services will be automagically configured and started up on boot:

Code: [Select]
sudo pacman -Syu wpa_supplicant-runit connman-runit
or
sudo pacman -Syu wpa_supplicant-runit networkmanager-runit

Re: Why isn't rc.local starting? (RUNIT)

Reply #2
[SOLUTION] JUST INSTALL and enable networkmanager-runit in chroot and once you boot up to the system you can type nmtui connect in the tty to connect to your network.

Re: [SOLVED] Why isn't rc.local starting? (RUNIT)

Reply #3
Internet connection may be established with few connman commands from pure bash shell.  A practical example:
# connmanctl technologies
# connmanctl enable wifi
# connmanctl services
# connmanctl
connmanctl> agent on
connmanctl> connect wifi_bc7876349b67b_49436256f617254f6d+managed_psk
[--> agent asks for passphrase to connect <--]
connmanctl> quit
# ping artixlinux.org
Neither Xorg, nor graphical DEs or frontends are required for connman to work.  Once connection is established with above commands, it automatically goes up on subsequent boots.

Connman is included is base Artix ISOs.   Thanks to connman, network is available in bash shell, installed from the base ISO.