Skip to main content
Topic: mate problem, login fails after upgrade (Read 597 times) previous topic - next topic

mate problem, login fails after upgrade

System upgrade today, big one as system not run in  a while.
Just wondered if there is a known Mate problem right now as it now refuses to login, goes back to login manager.
Had to install LXDE to login.

Re: mate problem, login fails after upgrade

Reply #1
This is on the MATE OpenRC iso install.

Reply #3
System upgrade today, big one as system not run in  a while.
Just wondered if there is a known Mate problem right now as it now refuses to login, goes back to login manager.
Had to install LXDE to login.
Something crashes mate-session or something. Any errors in ~/.xsession-errors?

Reply #4
@nous, I have discovered there is an issue with stable Mate ISO: when I open Mate terminal and start typing in it, the session crashes to lightdm. I'll also check weekly ISO to see if the issue is resolved there.

Update: Weekly ISO seems to be ok, so the alternative solution for the OP could be to boot from the weekly Mate (if at all relevant, since artix-chroot is still needed) ISO and update from there, by starting Mate terminal and repeating the procedure from my previous post.

Reply #5
Thanks. I tried these things, system upgrade (using pamac though), reinstall mate. Tried Mate gtk2 from AUR but there was a package that did not install. All fine, now running LXDE instead. Had another problem at the same time, kernel upgrade nixed the driver for the usb wifi, tp-link Archer T4U. Artix is better than most distros in actually having a dkms package for this. Automatic installation fails but it installs fine from the build folder with make - make install. Have to repeat after kernel upgrade.
The only distro I know about that has this driver integrated and working is ALT Linux 'Platform 10'.

Reply #6
It happened to me using openrc Xfce.
Currently I have been using runit. So far so good.