Skip to main content
Topic: [SOLVED]Any way to ssh into the installer? (Read 1136 times) previous topic - next topic

[SOLVED]Any way to ssh into the installer?

I can see that the live environment does not have openssh-runit installed by default.
Any quick and dirty way to ssh into the USB live environment so i can configure it from my desktop?
Could not find this documented anywhere, it's a bit tricky sins the USB live environment is a read only file system

Re: Any way to ssh into the installer?

Reply #2
I can see that the live environment does not have openssh-runit installed by default.
Any quick and dirty way to ssh into the USB live environment so i can configure it from my desktop?
Could not find this documented anywhere, it's a bit tricky sins the USB live environment is a read only file system

What is a "USB live environment"? Is it one of those Graphical installation images written in a USB sticker?

Reply #3
What is a "USB live environment"? Is it one of those Graphical installation images written in a USB sticker?
https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/USB_flash_installation_medium
This page discusses various multi-platform methods on how to create an Arch Linux Installer USB drive (also referred to as "flash drive", "USB stick", "USB key", etc) for booting in BIOS and UEFI systems. The result will be a Live USB (Live CD-like) system that can be used for installing Arch Linux, system maintenance or for recovery purposes, and that, because of using Overlayfs for /, will discard all changes once the computer shuts down.
LiveUSB isn't graphical ISO-specific, it is also started from base ISOs.

Reply #4
LIveUSB environment is meant only for installing the system or fixing an existing installation. You can only create a custom ISO. See: https://wiki.artixlinux.org/Main/InstallationUsingBuildiso
Thank you for the quick response,
And i think just setting it up on the laptop without easy copy paste capabilities will take less time than creating a custom iso.
The standard base arch installer has ssh installed that you can enable i find it very useful, can automate some setup with ansible and such.
But then again at that point setting up a custom iso would not take much extra time

Reply #6
You can install packages in the live environment as well, they won't persist through reboot though, if that's what you meant.
I can install the pacage, but can i enable the sshd service without rebooting?

Reply #7
Regardless it's the base installer or a gui installer image. When you boot the system up, an overlay file system (around 5GB) is mounted as /. It's w/r. You can configure your internet, install openssh & openssh-runit. Enable and start sshd in the live system.