Skip to main content
Topic solved
This topic has been marked as solved and requires no further attention.
Topic: [SOLVED] Virt-Manager: Error starting domain: Requested operation is not valid (Read 1766 times) previous topic - next topic

[SOLVED] Virt-Manager: Error starting domain: Requested operation is not valid

Hello Artix Forums,

I am having trouble with virt-manager on Artix. It was working a few days ago, but it has since stopped allowing me to start a virtual machine. It is giving me an error: "Error starting domain: Requested operation is not valid: network: 'default' is not active."

Details:
Code: [Select]
Error starting domain: Requested operation is not valid: network 'default' is not active

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/share/virt-manager/virtManager/asyncjob.py", line 65, in cb_wrapper
    callback(asyncjob, *args, **kwargs)
  File "/usr/share/virt-manager/virtManager/asyncjob.py", line 101, in tmpcb
    callback(*args, **kwargs)
  File "/usr/share/virt-manager/virtManager/object/libvirtobject.py", line 57, in newfn
    ret = fn(self, *args, **kwargs)
  File "/usr/share/virt-manager/virtManager/object/domain.py", line 1329, in startup
    self._backend.create()
  File "/usr/lib/python3.10/site-packages/libvirt.py", line 1353, in create
    raise libvirtError('virDomainCreate() failed')
libvirt.libvirtError: Requested operation is not valid: network 'default' is not active

I had resolved this error before by starting dnsmasq, but then ran into another problem with virtlockd-sock or something like that, so I updated and rebooted hoping it would do something, but it didn't help any and now starting dnsmasq doesn't seem to help with the first error.

Output from libvirtd:
2022-01-27 04:42:48.566+0000: 7015: info : libvirt version: 8.0.0
2022-01-27 04:42:48.566+0000: 7015: info : hostname: cleareagle
2022-01-27 04:42:48.566+0000: 7015: error : virExec:634 : Cannot find 'dmidecode' in path: No such file or directory
2022-01-27 04:42:48.919+0000: 7015: error : virExec:634 : Cannot find 'dmidecode' in path: No such file or directory

I have installed the following packages already as suggested by this post:
iptables-nft dnsmasq nftables

I am using a system installed from the Artix-Runit Base ISO.

Does anybody have any ideas on why this might be happening? I've never had any trouble with virt-manager before.

Please tell me if there is any more information I should give. Thank you in advance,
Nick

Re: Virt-Manager: Error starting domain: Requested operation is not valid

Reply #1
Hello,

since there is an ERROR regarding 'dmidecode' I would first address this issue.

So install 'dmidecode':
pacman -S dmidecode

And try again.

Re: Virt-Manager: Error starting domain: Requested operation is not valid

Reply #2
Thank you so much for your reply. Installing that program seemed to help. After that I was able to run `sudo virtsh net-start default` to start the default network, but it still doesn't seem to want to start on it's own through the GUI without manually removing and re-adding the "Virtual Network Interface." I added myself to the "libvirt" group so I didn't have to start things as root.

That fixed that problem (sort of), and now I am back to the other problem I ran into.

Error starting domain: Failed to connect socket to '/run/libvirt/virtlogd-sock': No such file or directory

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/share/virt-manager/virtManager/asyncjob.py", line 65, in cb_wrapper
    callback(asyncjob, *args, **kwargs)
  File "/usr/share/virt-manager/virtManager/asyncjob.py", line 101, in tmpcb
    callback(*args, **kwargs)
  File "/usr/share/virt-manager/virtManager/object/libvirtobject.py", line 57, in newfn
    ret = fn(self, *args, **kwargs)
  File "/usr/share/virt-manager/virtManager/object/domain.py", line 1329, in startup
    self._backend.create()
  File "/usr/lib/python3.10/site-packages/libvirt.py", line 1353, in create
    raise libvirtError('virDomainCreate() failed')
libvirt.libvirtError: Failed to connect socket to '/run/libvirt/virtlogd-sock': No such file or directory

This means that 'virtlogd' isn't running. The problem can easily be fixed by either running `sudo virtlogd` or by looking in the `/etc/runit/sv` directory to find a 'virtlogd' service and linking/starting it.

Thank you for your help. Everything seems to be working nicely now.