Skip to main content
Topic solved
This topic has been marked as solved and requires no further attention.
Topic: libwacom upgrade froze Mate desktop totally (Read 1706 times) previous topic - next topic

libwacom upgrade froze Mate desktop totally

upgraded libwacom (1.12-1 -> 2.0.0-2)
Desktop froze totally, no keyboard or mouse response, I disabled xinit in .bashrc from another partition then downgraded at tty prompt to the old version in /var/cache/pacman/pkg
Numerous errors in Xorg.log.0 said:

Code: [Select]
[     8.782] (EE) Failed to load /usr/lib/xorg/modules/input/libinput_drv.so: libwacom.so.2: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
[     8.782] (EE) Failed to load module "libinput" (loader failed, 0)
[     8.782] (EE) No input driver matching `libinput'

Re: libwacom upgrade froze Mate desktop totally

Reply #1
I have Cinnamon desktop Artix and after libwacom update Cinnamon crashes at startup no taskbar nothing.
If i try to cinnamon --replace then i get "libwacom.so.2: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory"

Reply #2
...Cinnamon crashes at startup no taskbar nothing.
Same here.  Autologin is enabled, Cinnamon starts up, and nothing but working conky on a black screen is displayed.  No DE components.  Keyboard shortcuts don't work.

Only DE is affected.  Other TTYs work normally.  Didn't try to find malfunction's reason yet.

Edit:

I restored Cinnamon backup made a few hours before libwacom and libinput upgrades.  Cinnamon is fully functional with two libraries at:
$ pacman -Q libwacom libinput
libwacom 1.12-1
libinput 1.19.3-1
$
If libwacom is upgraded to 2.0.0-2, it prevents Cinnamon from displaying any DE component.

If libinput's build 1.19.3-2 is installed, it blocks keyboard, mouse and touchpad input in Cinnamon.

A (bad) workaround is to temporarily put two libraries, at their working versions, on hold with IgnorePkg in pacman.conf.

No similar issues are present in Plasma, Gnome, Mate.  They are independent one from another and installed in their own separate partitions.  All three continue to work normally.

Reply #3
Same here.  Autologin is enabled, Cinnamon starts up, and nothing but working conky on a black screen is displayed.  No DE components.  Keyboard shortcuts don't work.

Only DE is affected.  Other TTYs work normally.  Didn't try to find malfunction's reason yet.

Edit:

I restored Cinnamon backup made a few hours before libwacom and libinput upgrades.  Cinnamon is fully functional with two libraries at:
$ pacman -Q libwacom libinput
libwacom 1.12-1
libinput 1.19.3-1
$
If libwacom is upgraded to 2.0.0-2, it prevents Cinnamon from displaying any DE component.

If libinput's build 1.19.3-2 is installed, it blocks keyboard, mouse and touchpad input in Cinnamon.

A (bad) workaround is to temporarily put two libraries, at their working versions, on hold with IgnorePkg in pacman.conf.

No similar issues are present in Plasma, Gnome, Mate.  They are independent one from another and installed in their own separate partitions.  All three continue to work normally.
Just installed libwacom 1.12-1 libinput 1.19.3-1 to cinnamon and its working as you mentioned. Thank you thats a temproary solution as you said. There are a few things i dislike about cinnamon(KDE and Gnome arent different about that) and its that cinnamon has dependencies like wacom. I do not have any graphical tablet and i dont plan to own one. There are features in cinnamon which should be optional but cinnamon devs(mint team) make them mandatory required dependencies in my opinion it feels a bit bloated.

Reply #4
[     8.782] (EE) Failed to load /usr/lib/xorg/modules/input/libinput_drv.so: libwacom.so.2: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
What is the output of
$ LC_ALL=C pacman -Qi xf86-input-libinput | grep '^Version'

Update: Regarding the other related issues in this thread, cinnamon-control-center, cinnamon-settings-daemon and muffin indeed still depend on the old version of libwacom and that matter will be looked into as soon as possible.

The current version of world/xf86-input-libinput is 1.2.0-2, however. Check your /etc/pacman.conf and /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist and update your pacman databases (pacman -Syu).

Reply #5
$ LC_ALL=C pacman -Qi xf86-input-libinput | grep '^Version'
Version         : 1.1.0.1.r284.gecd845c-1

Oops!  Forgot about some earlier experiment when I installed the -git version from the AUR, I must have omitted to put that back to standard! :-[

Reply #6
Ah yup, that would explain that. Just for clarity, cinnamon is currently broken (mismatched SONAMEs). Sorry for everyone that got hit by this. We'll do a recompile of those packages ASAP.

Reply #7
Yes, it's OK now after installing the proper xf86-input-libinput package, updating and rebooting, sorry for the false alarm - I thought it was an unusually large bug to have escaped notice elsewhere! And there are no more forgotten -git packages on my system, having  now carefully checked for them.

Reply #8
...We'll do a recompile of those packages ASAP.
Would you be so kind to announce in this thread when recompiled stuff will be pushed to the repos?  It'll help to decide when it will be safe to remove pkgs on hold from IgnorePkg.  Thank you.

Reply #9
I have Cinnamon desktop Artix and after libwacom update Cinnamon crashes at startup no taskbar nothing.
If i try to cinnamon --replace then i get "libwacom.so.2: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory"

Cinnamon is now fixed. Update to the newest version.
Chris Cromer

Reply #10
Thank you for the speedy resolution. Managing packages on a rolling-release distribution... what a feat.

Reply #11
Cinnamon is upgraded and works well here.  libwacom and libinput are removed from IgnorePkg.  All issues are fixed.  Thanks.

Reply #12
To add to this, did the network settings window stop working for anyone else after updating recently? The error message it gives me when I run
cinnamon-settings network
is about an assertion failing followed by a segmentation fault.

I didn't create a new thread for this because I'm not sure if this is a packaging issue or a bug from upstream.

Edit: Rolled back to two days ago where it works and all the cinnamon packages are the same version as the latest from upstream. The only difference from the latest in the repos is the release number, so this is a packaging issue.

Reply #13
For the record, the exact log is:
/usr/share/cinnamon/cinnamon-settings/cinnamon-settings.py:433: DeprecationWarning: Gtk.Window.set_wmclass is deprecated
  self.window.set_wmclass(wm_class, wm_class)
/usr/lib/python3.10/site-packages/gi/overrides/Gio.py:42: Warning: invalid unclassed pointer in cast to 'NMACertChooserButton'
  return Gio.Application.run(self, *args, **kwargs)
/usr/lib/python3.10/site-packages/gi/overrides/Gio.py:42: Warning: g_type_instance_get_private: assertion 'instance != NULL && instance->g_class != NULL' failed
  return Gio.Application.run(self, *args, **kwargs)
Segmentation fault
You should report it upstream.

Reply #14
That's what I thought at first, but unless pacman is lying to me I'm currently using the latest cinnamon packages save for the release number. So it looks like the last time it was rebuilt for artix something went wrong and it's not innate to the software itself.

I'm going to try to replicate this problem on arch and see if the same thing happens before reporting it upstream.