Skip to main content
Topic: Installed at the exact wrong time, ffmpeg breakages. Need help downgrading. (Read 3129 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Installed at the exact wrong time, ffmpeg breakages. Need help downgrading.

Reply #16
Does someone know where on Arch forums they're discussing this? I'm looking but i can't find where they're talking about this ffmpeg stuff.

Reply #17
What errors do you see from steam?
for Cities from player.log:
Got a SIGABRT while executing native code. This usually indicates
a fatal error in the mono runtime or one of the native libraries
used by your application.

and almost same warning for Beholder:
Got a SIGSEGV while executing native code. This usually indicates
a fatal error in the mono runtime or one of the native libraries
used by your application.

Reply #18
telegram-desktop: error while loading shared libraries: libavutil.so.56: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Nope (

Reply #19
Does someone know where on Arch forums they're discussing this? I'm looking but i can't find where they're talking about this ffmpeg stuff.
Working ffmpeg in Arch is at 2:4.4.1 , in [extra] repo.

Dangerous ffmpeg 2:5.0 in Arch is in [staging] repo.  Nobody but crazy devs  :)  use [staging] in Arch.  So ordinary humans in Arch weren't injured by ffmpeg 2:5.0 .  At least, yet.

Reply #20
Working ffmpeg in Arch is at 2:4.4.1 , in [extra] repo.

Dangerous ffmpeg 2:5.0 in Arch is in [staging] repo.  Nobody but crazy devs  :)  use [staging] in Arch.  So ordinary humans in Arch weren't injured by ffmpeg 2:5.0 .  At least, yet.
I see, so in my case, should i ask the devs in the Arch forums to fix the 'mixxx' package that prevents me from updating? Since it belongs to Arch's [extra] repo, or should i just wait?

Reply #21
...should i ask the devs in the Arch forums to fix...
Socially, unless you're experienced Arch user and proven Arch forum member, do not ask anything in their forum.  The forum is known for its sharp rejection of anyone who doesn't use the native Arch.

Technically, there's no strict direct relationship between Arch and Artix.  It's useless to ask anything in Arch - if in need, ask Artix devs right here.

Artix devs are perfectly aware of the ffmpeg problem, and are working for 2 days now to fix it.

Briefly.  Forget about Arch.  Don't look around.  Artix is better.  Just wait.  Devs are doing their best to solve the problem asap.

Reply #22
telegram, and some other programs, can be made working again by installing ffmpeg-compat-58 from our universe repo.
artist

Reply #23
Re mixxx, I'm fully updated here, and just tried to install & build mixxx-git from the AUR to see what happened - it built perfectly, app starts fine, apparently works, it plays some mp3 file I tried anyway.
Mixxx 2.4.0-alpha-pre    Git version: 2.4-alpha-1093-gca1e3246c4 (main)
There's also a more stable alternative in the AUR, mixxx_beta-git which is recommended as suitable for everyday usage.
https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/mixxx_beta-git/
https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/mixxx-git/
(It's not nearly as big to build as a browser or kernel but still a reasonable size thing if you had very limited hw spec and cloning the git repo was a 420MB dl if you had a slow connection fyi  :D )
When built locally, it will use the current solibs on your system hence finds the ones from the newer ffmpeg.

A lot of Artix packages are updated for the new ffmpeg now, including ungoogled-chromium and firefox, so a lot is fixed already but not Arch packages as they are still on the old ffmpeg version.
A newer mixxx is not in either community-testing or community-staging so it could be a while yet before that appears in community I guess.

Reply #24
We put ffmpeg-compat-58 in [galaxy] to fix things until Arch moves things out of staging.

Reply #25
We put ffmpeg-compat-58 in [galaxy] to fix things until Arch moves things out of staging.
Do I need to uninstall anything before I install ffmpeg-compat-58?

Reply #26
Do I need to uninstall anything before I install ffmpeg-compat-58?

After upgrade I have just installed "compat" package and everything works now.

Reply #27
ffmpeg-compat-58 can be installed alongside the current Artix ffmpeg 2:5.0-3 because it only contains the missing older libs from the Arch ffmpeg 2:4.4.1-1 package, not the whole thing, it doesn't conflict, so it fixes the dependency issues for the Arch packages while still allowing you to use the Artix packages built against the newer versions - definitely the most efficient solution to go for unless you want to rebuild stuff for fun (retracting my earlier suggestion, mixxx from the Arch community repo works with the compat package) ;D .

Reply #28
BTW what happens if one installs ffmpeg from Arch's 'extra' repository (assuming artix-archlinux-support is installed)? It seems that they still have ffmpeg version 2:4.4.1. Either they haven't upgraded it yet, or they rolled it back due to the issues new version causes.

Reply #29
Give it a try if you want, it breaks all the upgraded Artix packages if you are up to date:
Code: [Select]
$ pakku -Syu
$ pakku -S extra/ffmpeg
(fails)
error: failed to prepare transaction (could not satisfy dependencies)
$ pakku -Rs mixxx ffmpeg-compat-58
$ pakku -S extra/ffmpeg
(fails, Pacman checks cache & Artix packages don't match Arch signatures, not deleting in case I want them for some other test!)
$ sudo mv /var/cache/pacman/pkg/ffmpeg-2\:4.4.1-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.zst ./
$ sudo mv /var/cache/pacman/pkg/x264-3\:0.163.r3060.5db6aa6-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.zst ./
$ pakku -S extra/ffmpeg extra/x264
warning: downgrading package ffmpeg (2:5.0-3 => 2:4.4.1-1)
warning: downgrading package x264 (3:0.164.r3081.19856cc-1 => 3:0.163.r3060.5db6aa6-1)
$ chromium
/usr/lib/chromium/chromium: error while loading shared libraries: libavcodec.so.59: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
It will fix the Arch packages with an ffmpeg dependency, however all the Artix stuff built against the newer ffmpeg won't work. The ffmpeg-compat-58 solution is much cleverer and will fix everything. I think that's the definitive solution afaik, update and install ffmpeg-compat-58, the regular ffmpeg stays in place too, goodbye ffmpeg problems, if it takes Arch a week or two to catch up on ffmpeg it won't matter. Remove ffmpeg-compat-58 later when it becomes redundant.