Skip to main content
Topic: tomcat logs (Read 397 times) previous topic - next topic

tomcat logs

As I am still moving vms from an old server to get space for artix mirror and other shenanigans, I have a problem migrating a vm for a tomcat8 setup. I have a very old application on there, which I have to decompile and refactor to get information about it. So fun times :D
I started doing that and found out, that the missing information to get this one old sourceless application back up and running should be all printed out via system.out.println on application startup. Usually those prints get forwarded to /var/log/tomcat8/catalina.out. But not anymore? I can't find any printed strings from any of the applications via grep -nrw on the system. I installed tomcat8 via pacman this time(the old vm is debian and there I installed it manually; output to catalina.out works fine there)
Does anyone has an idea what to do to find those outputs? Any advice is highly appreciated as I would not have to proceed decompiling java packages ;)
edit: to clarify I would like to emphasize, that tomcat is running and everything else is working fine. Only the sys out printlns are missing in any log file.
edit2: start of tomcat itself is done via openrc script like shown here: https://wiki.alpinelinux.org/wiki/Tomcat if that is of any importance
as always, correct me if I'm wrong ;)

Re: tomcat logs

Reply #1
Does anyone has an idea what to do to find those outputs? Any advice is highly appreciated as I would not have to proceed
Assuming you run syslog-ng, check whether the d_everything destination is enabled (usually to /var/log/everything.log). Something similar holds true for metalog too. If you don't get any logging, then tomcat (or java) isn't using syslog(3) calls correctly?

Re: tomcat logs

Reply #2
Thanks for the hint. I checked for a syslog and found no logging at all? Is it possible to have no syslogger active? maybe.
Installed syslog-ng and checked the syslog-ng.conf: the everthing.log location is defined in there as well as the call. Logs are appearing in the everything.log from dbus and other things, but no tomcat message...
Think, I'll fiddle around at the tomcat logging config then
Thanks again for the hint. If there is anyone out there with experience on the tomcat config, I'd appreciate if you could post your experience here ;)
as always, correct me if I'm wrong ;)