Skip to main content
Topic solved
This topic has been marked as solved and requires no further attention.
Topic: should electron be packaged by Artix, to get dependencies right? (Read 801 times) previous topic - next topic

should electron be packaged by Artix, to get dependencies right?

I think Artix should compile and package its own electron* (electron, electron9, electron11, electron13, electron14, electron15 as for now) packages.

Currently, they are available via the Arch Linux community repository, but since several days already they are compiled against some ffmpeg version that is not provided by Artix:

They refuse to start with

Code: [Select]
/usr/lib/electron/electron: error while loading shared libraries: libavcodec.so.58: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

So I think Artix should provide their own compilation, either compiled against Artix' ffmpeg, or as a workaround depending on something like ffmpeg-compat-58.

Re: should electron be packaged by Artix, to get dependencies right?

Reply #1
I think Artix should compile and package its own electron* (electron, electron9, electron11, electron13, electron14, electron15 as for now) packages.

Currently, they are available via the Arch Linux community repository, but since several days already they are compiled against some ffmpeg version that is not provided by Artix:

They refuse to start with

Code: [Select]
/usr/lib/electron/electron: error while loading shared libraries: libavcodec.so.58: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

So I think Artix should provide their own compilation, either compiled against Artix' ffmpeg, or as a workaround depending on something like ffmpeg-compat-58.
There is a ffmpeg-compat-58 package already

Reply #2
To elaborate slightly, install these packages together, showing current versions:
ffmpeg 2:5.0-3
ffmpeg-compat-58 4.4-1
Then everything ffmpeg related works, whether from Arch or Artix, including electron - I tried it, no problems here.

Reply #3
There is a ffmpeg-compat-58 package already

I know; I meant that it should be added as a dependency in Artix-provided electron*-packages if they cannot be recompiled against the Artix-provided ffmpeg.

To elaborate slightly, install these packages together, showing current versions:
ffmpeg 2:5.0-3
ffmpeg-compat-58 4.4-1
Then everything ffmpeg related works, whether from Arch or Artix, including electron - I tried it, no problems here.

Yes, this works -- but since ffmpeg-compat-58 is not pulled in by any dependency, it is an ugly workaround, since ffmpeg-compat-58 is a de-facto-dependency which is not listed as such. I do not want to install it explicitly, only with --asdeps, but that would make it get removed when I auto-remove stale packages, ...

So I still see my "feature request" of electron* beeing packaged by Artix valid.

Reply #5
ffmpeg-compat-58 is a de-facto-dependency which is not listed as such.
I see what you mean, I thought of suggesting that ffmpeg-compat-58 should be a dependency of ffmpeg for a while - but then thought - what happens when it's no longer needed? For less competent users it would sit there as an orphan package and probably cause issues later on having old ffmpeg libs sat around - what if some build decided to link against those instead of the new version? If they never read the forum they might not know it had been installed or what it was for. So you could have a hook remove it when it was no longer  needed - but what about people who wanted it for some AUR package they had built, for example? So you still have to sort it out manually, and at least if people can't start their browser they should notice.  ;D  I don't know for sure but I think that's probably why.

Reply #6
ffmpeg ETA: https://archlinux.org/todo/ffmpeg-50/

After every package in that table reaches "Complete", there will be no need for workarounds.
It seems that all the packages listed on this page are now up to date.

Should we remove ffmpeg-compat-58 now?

Reply #9
Technically, there is no need to have workaround anymore, but Arch still hasn't done the finishing step, which is to act upon that and actually update ffmpeg package to 5.0. When that will happen is up to them.

Update: https://archlinux.org/packages/extra/x86_64/ffmpeg/
Signature Date:   2022-02-17 19:23 UTC
Last Updated:   2022-02-17 19:26 UTC (an hour ago)
So expect rebuilds soon.