Skip to main content
Topic solved
This topic has been marked as solved and requires no further attention.
Topic: [SOLVED] System does not save wifi password (Read 3300 times) previous topic - next topic

[SOLVED] System does not save wifi password

Hello people. I was messing around with the latest release of the community qt Artix (January 23th). I have noticed that every time I boot up the system it asks me for the wifi password, and when I go connections setting under network in kde/plasma config, it gives me the error:
''Failed to get secrets for (wifi name). No agents were available for this request. '

I searched for that error, and I discovered that KDE Wallet might be the culprit, considering that it didn't had a default wallet (I guess it shouldn't be like that). And when I click in new, gave it a name and chose GPG encryption, it gives me this error:
'Seems that your system has no keys suitable for encryption. Please set-up at least one encryption key, then try again.'

I have searched for this error, but there were anything useful. Help would be nice.
Thanks in advance.

Re: System does not save wifi password.

Reply #1
Well, we could add a default wallet and a gpg key to the ISO, but then would you trust us holding your keys? You need to create a GPG keypair yourself.
TL;DR: open a terminal, $ gpg --full-gen-key

Also, I'd want more user feedback on the community-qt ISO, as I'm a MATE user myself and don't really know much about Plasma.

Reply #2
Well, we could add a default wallet and a gpg key to the ISO, but then would you trust us holding your keys? You need to create a GPG keypair yourself.
TL;DR: open a terminal, $ gpg --full-gen-key

Also, I'd want more user feedback on the community-qt ISO, as I'm a MATE user myself and don't really know much about Plasma.
I kinda prefer creating my own. The funny part is that I never had this error/problem/misconfiguration or had to create this before using the more barebones editions that came just with the de installed (maybe because I didn't read that it still was a simpler version lol), and in other distributions that I used before (I still am a beginner in Linux, but then I founded stuff about systemd and its mess and moved from Manjaro to Artix.)
I think the qt community edition is pretty good, considering it virtually comes with everything I need and its configured nicely. There isn't a exact reason I prefer plasma from the others (cinnamon is really cool too).

I would love to give you a more detailed feedback but am still learning linux and trying to move away from Windows, with its fare share of problems, but I am getting there.
Peace.

Re: [SOLVED] System does not save wifi password.

Reply #3
I just restarted my computer, and still giving me the same error.

Re: [SOLVED] System does not save wifi password.

Reply #4
I don't know if there it matters but, it asks me for the password 2 times. I go to the status and notifications tab > networks and I chose my wifi. Then network manager asks it again. And there are 2 wifi icons, the plasma one and the NetworkManager Applet one.

Reply #8
Привет, тёзка!

Hello,
I am a beginner in Linux too, and maybe my proposition won't work but you can try it:
Code: [Select]
sudo nmtui
And you can connect to yout wifi.
Maybe it will work.

Удачи!

Reply #10
Привет, тёзка!

Hello,
I am a beginner in Linux too, and maybe my proposition won't work but you can try it:
sudo nmtui
And you can connect to yout wifi.
Maybe it will work.

Удачи!
It didn't man. I guess the problem is not with netmanager itself its with kdewallet or something related.

Can you see your GPG key with gpg -K?
Yes.

Reply #12
This may be the source of the problem. Can you disable either?
Yeah. I removed the network-manager-applet and it looks it is working now, even after rebooting the machine. It isn't really obvious if it was the netmanager messing things up or kdewallet or it is just my computer. Oh well, it is fixed and that's what matters anyway.
Thanks everybody for the help.
Peace.

Reply #13
Yeah. I removed the network-manager-applet and it looks it is working now, even after rebooting the machine. It isn't really obvious if it was the netmanager messing things up or kdewallet or it is just my computer. Oh well, it is fixed and that's what matters anyway.
Thanks everybody for the help.
Peace.
Hello mikhailovich_,

I had the same problem this morning after update the KDE to version 5.24.
My system didn't connect to wi-fi and KWallet asked me to create a GPG key.

I don't need to encrypt my wi-fi password (maybe I should do it?) and I've blocked it by adding the rule to the file (I created a new file).

To the ~/.config add a new file kwalletrc.

Put the next lines to the file:
[Wallet]
Enable=false

Save it and reboot your PC/laptop.
After connect again to your wi-fi.
Next time the system won't load KWallet and won't ask you a wi-fi password.

Good luck!

Reply #14
Hello mikhailovich_,

I had the same problem this morning after update the KDE to version 5.24.
My system didn't connect to wi-fi and KWallet asked me to create a GPG key.

I don't need to encrypt my wi-fi password (maybe I should do it?) and I've blocked it by adding the rule to the file (I created a new file).

To the ~/.config add a new file kwalletrc.

Put the next lines to the file:
[Wallet]
Enable=false

Save it and reboot your PC/laptop.
After connect again to your wi-fi.
Next time the system won't load KWallet and won't ask you a wi-fi password.

Good luck!
Yeah, its ok now. I guess encryption is nice, but if it messing with my ability to connect to the internet it is a problem.
Thanks man
Peace.