Skip to main content
Topic solved
This topic has been marked as solved and requires no further attention.
Topic: Hulu and Firefox still not playing nice 2022 (also chromium) (Read 461 times) previous topic - next topic

Hulu and Firefox still not playing nice 2022 (also chromium)

I've just acquired an Asus all-in-one with like... A Pentium G, I think. I decided it was probably just powerful enough to be an htpc, so I decided to slap a minimal Linux install on it. I was getting pretty bored with Arch and I knew that Alpine wouldn't do some of the things I wanted, and I'd installed Artix once before, so I got an official ISO and ran through the install guide, installing OpenRC as my init (I think I used Runit last time).

After the core system was installed I slapped down X11, i3-gaps, firefox and alsa-utils. Then I set everything up and opened Firefox. YouTube works immediately and well of course. 780p is very passable on the 24 inch integrated screen. I fully expected to have trouble with Hulu, and I was right.

On my daily driver, which runs Arch, I had no trouble watching Hulu after installing the widevine plug-in and enabling DRM in Firefox. Here however, no matter how many times I reboot, and no matter what I try, Hulu fails to load a video, saying RUNUNK13, and Firefox puts a bar across the top of the site saying that I may have to install codecs.

I immediately did some googling and one forum said that Hulu on Linux requires, or may require, ffmpeg and libavcodecs-extra.

ffmpeg got installed early on, so that was already checked, and when I ran pacman -Ss (with Arch community and extra repos enabled) on "libavcodec" the only results were for the different repos' instances of ffmpeg itself.

At this point I don't know what else to try. I see that there has been one other person asking about this years ago on this forum and it appears they gave up on Firefox and used chromium. I don't want to do this but I have now installed chromium and it seems to be acting very weird. It's probably an issue for another time but I don't think chromium likes this system very much. I could not successfully log on to Hulu and chromium because the logon button that appears does not seem to respond to me clicking it no matter what I do.

Does anyone know a Firefox solution? If not I'll try again with chromium but I really don't want to use it.

Edit: btw this system is running the LTS kernel.
My family motto: Nonnumquam enim non erramus, or loosely translated, "Sometimes we don't screw up."

Re: Hulu and Firefox still not playing nice 2022 (also chromium)

Reply #1
Ok, so apparently there's been some stuff with FFMPEG. All I can say is when I ran pacman -Syu again it updated firefox and FFMPEG and now Hulu works. Haven't tried Netflix yet
My family motto: Nonnumquam enim non erramus, or loosely translated, "Sometimes we don't screw up."