Skip to main content
Topic: Xfce4 do not recognize the usb at PCMan FM File Manager (Read 4462 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Xfce4 do not recognize the usb at PCMan FM File Manager

Reply #15
Sero, in order to be able to run this USB on xfce4 in Artix what do i have to do?

Somethig is wrong here with this iso, because with the other iso i was able to run the usb in the sytem, something is missing here ...
Mate
Desktop: xfce

Graphics: AMD Radeon HD 7640G integrated graphics
GPU: AMD/ATI Trinity [Radeon HD 7640G]

Reply #16
Code: [Select]
mkdir /mnt/usbstick
mount /dev/sdd1 /mnt/usbstick

That's how you manually mount it, if it's listed under sdd1 or whatever it is. You can use the dmesg command after plugging in the stick to find that out.  I am not running xfce4 on Artix and I don't know why it doesn't mount. I either manually mount or use udiskie with a polkit rule I found online.

Before unplugging, please do
umount /mnt/usbstick
eject /dev/sdd1

or whatever the device name is, that's how you make sure the data is actually written.

It's not supposed to simply work on artix. The focus is not on desktop environments yet.

Reply #17
@Sero  It's not supposed to simply work on artix. The focus is not on desktop environments yet.
Yes it does if you know what you are doing PcmanFM needs this in startup  dbus-launch pcmanfm --desktop -d to work correctly it also need maybe this in groups    usbmux: x: 140: username I don't use XFCE I use JWM and Pcmanfm everything works so it will also work in XFCE4 the op needs to read how to do things wikis are great for that Arch Gentoo will have the answers.

Reply #18
Well, to clarify: it absolutely should work, after learning and configuring.

It's just not the kind of distro that simply works out of the box, with a fully functional desktop environment after a few clicks on an installer.

I think this is closer to what I meant. It's not a criticism, but not all distros serve the same purpose for the same contexts.

Here's a list of relevant groups (storage, etc):

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/users_and_groups#Pre-systemd_groups

See the description:

Access to removable drives such as USB hard drives, flash/jump drives, MP3 players; enables the user to mount storage devices.

Add your user to those groups. Re-logging in will be necessary before startx or restart the display manager.

Alternatively, here's what I used to get udiskie working:

https://github.com/coldfix/udiskie/wiki/Permissions

Reply #19
I just need to solve the problem because if i can't then i will have to uninstall the system, i'm far a way from be an expert on these matters as you are ...

... "if you know what you are doing", well no ... i don't kknow what i'm doing that is why i looking for help ...

PcmanFM needs this in startup  dbus-launch pcmanfm --desktop -d to work correctly

See ... i don't know what this means, i don't see anything at pcmanfm where i can lunch any configuration and i have been trying for long.

Any idea, orientation ...?

Thanks.

Mate

Reply #20
There's a few different ways to approach this. mandog's suggestion should work just fine if that's what you want to do, but I don't think it will work for every file manager (like thunar for example). I'm pretty sure the source of the problem here is simply that you aren't launching your applications and/or X session with dbus. To do mandog's suggestion, all you need to do is to put that command in xfce's settings so it automatically runs on startup. Here's the relevant link on the Arch Wiki. Of course, you have to log out and then log back in for it to take effect.

Reply #21

But ... nothing happen
Mate

Reply #22
Does that mean you put the line in your .xinitrc? You should add that line as a custom command and enable it.

Reply #23
@keos, what is your reason for using Artix in the first place?

It's unlikely that someone who is a beginner at linux would choose artix at this point in time, so I vote troll.

Reply #24
Hello internet,
I had similar problem few years ago and i solved it the same way as is proposed here.
I simply added 
exec dbus-launch --sh-syntax --exit-with-session $1
to ~/.xinitrc and after that it started to work.
But because i was not satisfied with the way how thunar managed removable media i am using small utility called udiskie which works very well.

Reply #25
Sero, you are acusing me of to be a troll just because i’m not an expert on these matters as you are, well i’m acusing you of to be an elitist whom do not want to admit that peoples like me become users of Artix simply because we are not advanced users, i don’t see any sign anywhere when i installed the system saying ONLY FOR ADVANCED USERS ON LINUX. I’m not a troll, you are.

Dudemanguy i can’t follow your instruction: “a custom command”, i did what the wiki said, or what i understood from the wiki link – if you, or somebody else here can not explain clearly (step by step) what i’m suppouse to do i will uninstall the system.

Thanks.
Mate

Reply #26
Your image seems to broken now (or at least in my browser I no longer see it embedded). For the future, use a better image host like imgur. But if I remember your image correctly,  I didn't see an indication that you actually added mandog's command to the autostart. So let's try it again. Go back to the Application Autostart menu and hit the add button. On the dialog that pops up, you'll have three fields that you can fill out, the name, the description and the actual command. You can put whatever you want in the name and description fields, those don't matter. In the command field (which is what we want), put the following.

/usr/bin/dbus-launch pcmanfm --desktop -d

Enable it and then log out and log back in. Open up pcmanfm and see if your usb automounts properly. It should but if it doesn't then we can finally rule that one out and try a different solution.

Reply #27
Again, i did it as you said, but nothing happened ...
Mate

Reply #28
Could you post the output of 'rc-update -v show' for me?

Reply #29

There are linux distributions that come configured out of the box for desktop usage, such as Ubuntu, Fedora, Manjaro and a few others. Artix is not beginner friendly in this regard, I'm not saying you shouldn't use it, but if you want your system to be a friendly, problem free desktop environment that simply works, there are other options out there that will not cause trouble.

Artix never ever claimed to be hand holding the user. We stated from the beginning, that target audience is medium to advanced users, who are not afraid to solve problems themselves.
A good practise for any distro is, if you have problems, please prvide more info than "XY doesn't work".
Log files, rc-status -all, session logs.