Skip to main content
Topic: Firefox video hardware acceleration doesn't work after upgrade ffmpeg. (Read 1175 times) previous topic - next topic

Firefox video hardware acceleration doesn't work after upgrade ffmpeg.

Firefox video hardware acceleration doesn't work after upgrade ffmpeg.

I have now these packages:
jopeless@bosqueverde ~]$ pacman -Qs ffmpeg
local/ffmpeg 2:5.0-5
    Complete solution to record, convert and stream audio and video
local/ffmpeg4.4 4.4.1-4
    Complete solution to record, convert and stream audio and video
local/gst-libav 1.20.0-3
    Multimedia graph framework - libav plugin

I swith off video hardware acceleration and now I can play you tube videos.

Can you give me any advise about how to set up correctly video acceleration or how to provide you more info?

Thanks in advance.

Re: Firefox video hardware acceleration doesn't work after upgrade ffmpeg.

Reply #1
I can't reproduce here. Any more details?
Code: [Select]
pacman -Qs ffmpeg
local/ffmpeg 2:5.0-5
local/ffmpeg4.4 4.4.1-4
local/firefox 98.0-1

Reply #2
Hello,

I think I was wrong. The title should say: "Video hardware acceleration doesn't work after firefox upgrade."

If I set "media.rdd-process.enabled" to false, the video acceleration works.
"media.ffmpeg.vaapi.enabled" is set to true. If I set this to false, the video works but then I am not sure if video hardware acceleration is also working. Am I wrong?

As a sources of knowledge:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Firefox#Hardware_video_acceleration
https://wiki.mozilla.org/Security/Sandbox/Process_model

Although all "media.rdd-*" are set to true, it seems that the hardware decoding is not allowed by Remote Data Decoder.

I spent a long time installing drivers for my AMD system, and I have been cheking that I have also installed the necesary codecs.

If I only disable "media.rdd-vpx.enable", according to archwiki, it doesn't work.
Arcwiki also suggests to install firefox's extensions like h264ify or enhanced-h264ify to try to force youtube to send video coded with that algorithm. I think we need the video hardware acceleration working whatever codec the stream server uses.

So, I believe this security layer of Mozilla is not working fine.

Please, can any of you verify this?

Thanks.

Reply #3
According to that wiki page:

Note: As of Firefox 98, VA-API is blocked by RDD sandbox, but can be used by setting the environment variable MOZ_DISABLE_RDD_SANDBOX=1, although this is less secure.

So enabling the media.rdd setting will stop VA-API from working on firefox 98. If you want to use vaapi (which you do for hardware acceleration), then you need to disable the media.rdd setting.