Skip to main content
Topic: Cannot get external monitor working with nvidia-only mode please help (Read 696 times) previous topic - next topic

Cannot get external monitor working with nvidia-only mode please help

Hello, it has been more than 5 hours that I am trying to get an external 4k monitor to display anything while using proprietary nvidia driver. Latest nvidia and artix linux kernel.
I have an acer Aspire 7 A715-75G with an intel and nvidia GPU. Result of xrandr --listproviders:
Code: [Select]
Providers: number : 2
Provider 0: id: 0x1b7 cap: 0x1, Source Output crtcs: 4 outputs: 1 associated providers: 1 name:NVIDIA-0
Provider 1: id: 0x201 cap: 0xf, Source Output, Sink Output, Source Offload, Sink Offload crtcs: 3 outputs: 2 associated providers: 1 name:modesetting
My laptop knows about the external monitor. When I change something in arandr, a light turns on for a short time, but the screen always stays black. Output of xrandr --listmonitors:
Monitors: 2
 0: +HDMI-0 3840/596x2160/335+1920+0  HDMI-0
 1: +eDP-1-1 1920/344x1080/194+0+1080  eDP-1-1
I tried prime, but learned that it was more difficult with more than one monitor, so I decided to do like a year ago, nvidia only.
I do not have a xorg.conf, only a /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/10-nvidia-drm-outputclass.conf file with the content found here: https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/NVIDIA_Optimus#Use_NVIDIA_graphics_only
My .xinitrc does contain
xrandr --setprovideroutputsource modesetting NVIDIA-0
xrandr --auto

Would anyone know how I can get the monitor to work? I won't be able to assist you for a couple of hours from now on, need to go to sleep.

Re: Cannot get external monitor working with nvidia-only mode please help

Reply #1
your post willl get more traffic that is helpful in the hardware category than the forum category... beyond that i have no help to offer...

Reply #2
https://github.com/geminis3/EnvyControl
I use this tool switch to gpu modes
It has 3 modes
- Hybrid (both gpus are active)
- integrated (intel only)
- nvidia (only nvidia)
Create problems which don't have solution

Reply #4
aaaa sorry for the double post, I changed the resolution from 4k to 1080p and the damn thing is alive. I changed the resolution in arandr back to 4k and it works. Getting somewhere but any ideas on how to fix this? Going to test two xrandr scripts one after the other that change resolution

Reply #5
Read Issues on Github , if you find relavent then comment there, it would help dev to solve problem
Create problems which don't have solution