Skip to main content
Topic: Video drivers issue (low perfomance) (Read 1668 times) previous topic - next topic

Video drivers issue (low perfomance)

Hello.

I just have discussed this question with some people from Epic Games and Godot devs. Because I didn't know where is the truth. Very interesting quest.
The thing is while You can easily play Squad, Arma 3, Horizon Zero, etc with high fps, You can experience super low performance in other aspects. Like a game develop. And this is a very widespread story, not only a few people.

How to check it:
If You will try to run empty project in Godot and set it print FPS with vsync off, run it and maximize to FullScreen (I have Full HD), You could see low fps.
I've tested briefly a few distros, Devaun_XFCE_x64_Live for example. It shows 3x or even 6x(!) fps difference unlike Artix.
350 fps in completely empty default project using Artix, and 1-2 or even 3k fps using other distros. I ran it on Intel HD 620 to make it faster (NVIDIA Prime needs some workarounds to get work) so I didn't installed it.
Also I didn't checked Unreal Engine because now I work mostly with Godot engine.
It's very simple to recheck it, but I can do any tests You need. May be... even compile Unreal Engine 5 and see what it shows).

People say it can be:
1. Hardware issues
2. Drivers issues
3. Concrete distro issues

Now I now it's not about my hardware and drivers at all: games and other distros works very well!
May be it's about kernel config too and not only about 1000Hz timer. Somebody who really knows it well should give an answer.

I need to do my job, but completely don't want to change Artix on something else. So I've stuck with only 2 questions now:
- Will You fix it or You'are not interested in because of Arch anchor?
- If yes, how long it will take? It would be really nice to get some approximate dates.

Thank You.

P.S. Also I've upgraded nvidia drivers from official Artix repos and prime is completely broken. I've reinstalled nvidia.*, no luck it doesn't work after last upgrade.

Re: Video drivers issue (low perfomance)

Reply #1
What causes the differences in performance is hardware and drivers which is out of our control. According to your post, the most likely culprit is NVIDIA (hardly a unique case). It's entirely possible that NVIDIA drivers regressed at some point causing the difference (although the numbers you claimed are rather extreme) assuming everything else is mostly the same.

Reply #2
@Dudemanguy vs my real experience, many users experience, our tests, epic games, godot devs, not even a word about NVIDIA, BUT....

It all results in "it's just an extreme numbers", "10000% is hardware and drivers" and " It's entirely possible that NVIDIA drivers regressed at some point".

Please, before write, read a few times carefully. At least once!
I think You don't need to be interested in this post. Let's people will look at it and may be we will figure out how to fix. Or I silently will move to another distro.
It will be much simplier for me and You.

May be my English is so bad, that I mentioned NVIDIA card in tests. But I don't think so.

Reply #3
According to your own post, you said that you use nvidia...

P.S. Also I've upgraded nvidia drivers from official Artix repos and prime is completely broken. I've reinstalled nvidia.*, no luck it doesn't work after last upgrade.

Anyways, there's nothing we can do. We are not kernel or driver developers. Other distros use different versions of these things which can cause big differences. If you really have these problems, my suggestion would be to report upstream to the proper channels (good luck with NVIDIA though).

Reply #4
What kernel are you currently using in Artix?

Reply #5
@calvinh  5.17.1-artix1-1
It's the interesting question, because I've started to configure kernel. But I've took 5.16.19

Reply #6
@calvinh  5.17.1-artix1-1
It's the interesting question, because I've started to configure kernel. But I've took 5.16.19

Try the zen kernel in Arch extra repo. It's known to produce better FPS numbers than the stock kernel. xanmon kernel is another option, but its numbers are close to zen kernel. If you do need the performance  from the kernel, linux-clear is in AUR (better run it on a desktop than laptops.)

Reply #7
@calvinh
I tried to install linux-lts, but it finished the process with error. Ok I will try Zen. Thanks for the advice.

"need the performance"
Please. Read the post. I DON'T need performance from the kernel, I just need to fix this THE_BUG actually somehow and continue my work. And I must try to fix it by myself becausee of the situation with small artix team, cause I want to use this distro. That's all. Nothing more.

Reply #8
sudo pacman -S linux-lts linux-lts-headers

sudo update-grub && sudo reboot

if you got an error then double check you efi partition is 512mb in size and not 256mb.  depending on your system, and how many oses you are running off the same efi partition you might could be out of space?  maybe.  never in 20 years of using linux have i ever heard a lts kernel error on installation when linux kernel was working.  it is a thing that does not happen.  post the error.
Cat Herders of Linux

Reply #9
And what precise hardware have you encountered this on? Make, model, CPU and GPU details  would greatly improve your chances I think.

Reply #10
sudo pacman -S hddtemp dmidecode

sudo inxi -Fxzm
Cat Herders of Linux

Reply #11
@####
MSI Stealth 15M, i7-1185G7

@cat herders of linux
Thank You! I've forgot to mount it.

But yeah, I knew it was a completely stupid idea to try the lts/zen kernel. No luck. But it is a search anyway. I will continue configure 5.16.19.

Somehow zen kernel fixes nvidia driver module sign problem.

Reply #12
there's also always the liquorix you could try as well

[liquorix]
Server = https://liquorix.net/archlinux/$repo/$arch
Cat Herders of Linux

Reply #13
So your main graphics card is an NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 and searching for that plus Arch Linux revealed this which sounds similar:
https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=259227
Here are some other possibly helpful links but there is a lot of documentation to look through!
https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/NVIDIA
https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/NVIDIA/Troubleshooting
http://us.download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-x86_64/460.56/README/index.html
Possibly those links above are available in other languages too, like wiki.archlinux.de for example.

Reply #14
@######
It is only sounds similar, but it is sooooo far away from our problem and my question.
Anyway, thank You for the links, one of them actually very useful for another simple problem: nvidia.com...knownissues.html

@cat herders of linux
Thank You! Actually we have found distros (kernel configs?) which work 100% already. May be it will help, we will test it too.
This is a veeery annoying but a very interesting system floating bug and we will continue to search for the answer. But I think we will need even to dive into the code. Not a kernel hacker, other people will check it, but already dying in debugger )

And I just can't understand why people think NVIDIA is the main problem from the text. It's in the text - I've tested on Intel too. Generally on intel actually. Just read the post once. Once carefully, but almost nobody did )))
if some one interested in this, some people had this on AMD too. But intel and NVIDIA already excludes both of them from the equation so I didn't even mentioned it.
Unfortunately, this is not about to google the article with "ready to go" answer, "I know the answer it's a one more stupid thing", or NVIDIA, at all. I thought it's obvious. But may be my English has failed again. If it is, then I'm sorry.

Anyway, thank You all for trying to help I appreciate it!