Skip to main content
Topic: epiphany with a linux-hardened: bwrap: No permissions to creating new namespace (Read 852 times) previous topic - next topic

epiphany with a linux-hardened: bwrap: No permissions to creating new namespace

When trying to launch epiphany browser on Artix system with a linux-hardened kernel, I get this error:
Code: [Select]
bwrap: No permissions to creating new namespace, likely because the kernel does not allow non-privileged user namespaces.
On e.g. debian this can be enabled with 'sysctl kernel.unprivileged_userns_clone=1'.
However, there are some security concerns with that userns advice. I'm curious, is there any way to run epiphany browser without doing this? Of course, maybe just switch a browser to i.e. LibreWolf - I'm just curious if I can use this placeholder epiphany browser without sacrificing any security.

Re: epiphany with a linux-hardened: bwrap: No permissions to creating new namespace

Reply #1
Trying creating a forum account with gnome web browser and you will get token errors.   really not an ideal browser as far as i can tell.

Librewolf is certainly a security conscious browser and the best at it as far as i know?
Cat Herders of Linux

Re: epiphany with a linux-hardened: bwrap: No permissions to creating new namespace

Reply #2
Trying creating a forum account with gnome web browser and you will get token errors.   really not an ideal browser as far as i can tell.
Totally agree with you - I just would like epiphany to be usable as a backup browser (like an IE on Windows). Although Firefox runs well, it's similar by engine etc. to Librewolf - so, if Librewolf would fail anywhere, Firefox would too. So being able to run something like epiphany would be nice. Maybe a midori can be used - it looks similar to epiphany but launches without a problem even on linux-hardened.
Librewolf is certainly a security conscious browser and the best at it as far as i know?
There's also a Tor browser  ;)

Reply #3
https://www.unixsheikh.com/articles/choose-your-browser-carefully.html
https://digdeeper.neocities.org/ghost/browsers.html

https://www.unixsheikh.com/articles/choose-your-browser-carefully.html#librewolf

The best privacy-respecting browser (not counting TOR) is ungoogled-chromium. Unlike Librewolf, which still lets some "phone home" requests through, it makes zero "phone home" requests, because it is a fork of Chromium specifically created to remove those and other anti-privacy features. Plus, it is also available for Android.

Reply #4
Hey Thanks for setting me straight on that.  I do use ungoogled chromium for some things like social media.  I like Librewolf for streaming as it blocks ads (though autoplay is sacrificed) and mostly that works well.
Cat Herders of Linux